Flock concerns

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by twoangels35, Feb 7, 2015.

1. twoangels35

twoangels35 New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    I'm fairly new at this.... We started our flock about 10 months ago...they had been fine until the last few weeks. The odd thing is I was planning to downsize and have half of them processed...not even two days later the first one died! Unfortunately, she was one of my leghorns that I planned to keep. I have (had) 3 of that breed that had been laying an egg every.day for about the past 7 months...some of the eggs were more than jumbo size. When I found her, she was on the top in the nesting box...her bottom was bloody and there was a blood covered egg underneath her :-( I researched the situation and decided it was possible she died from a prolapse...2 days later a second leghorn was found on the floor which I assumed was from the same reason...I did notice this time that her insides from her bottom were basically cleaned out...and a Wyandotte and New Hampshire Red were near her pecking...which I assumed they ate the prolapsed area and was concerned they ate her intestines too...about 2 days later...the Wyandotte was found...then last night the New Hampshire Red died :-( I'm concerned about the eggs...because I normally collect the eggs clumped together, so I don't know who laid which ones...the other hens and roosters seem fine...any thoughts? The only thing I have done differently in the past 2 months is I started giving them scratch grains as well as their normal feed...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    It could be a serious illness. If it was just the first chicken, I would have considered it bad stock and par for the course, but four chickens from different breeds dying so close together raises a lot of warning flags for me. If possible, send one of the bodies to a lab to have it tested for illness. Otherwise, you may lose your whole flock and never know why.

3. twoangels35

twoangels35 New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    Thank you...I did read about doing that...I've wormed them as directed...so I really have no idea...they have been in their molting stage...how long does this normally last...and can they be more susceptible to illness during this time?

4. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Molts vary depending on the individual. It usually takes a few weeks from start to finish. It's possible that molting could make them more susceptible, since more energy is being directed at regrowing feathers, but I'm not a vet so I can't say for sure.

5. twoangels35

twoangels35 New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    I have a few Wyandottes that started losing their feathers 2 months ago...I bought them aprons at first...but the other chickens freaked out when they had them on...so I took them off...they still don't have all their feather growth back... initially I thought maybe there was a mite issue and treated the coop and flock...still clueless though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by