Flock dying

Sunshine1298

Chirping
Apr 10, 2010
Don't come here too often, but I've been a member since Oct. 2010. Last week one of our hens seemed ill. Brought her into the house in a pet carrier the next day (our normal plan when we have a sicky) and she died in a couple of hours.

Yesterday, hubby noticed the rooster seemed all fluffed up, but he was up on a perch. Today, he seemed "blah" and still fluffed up. Couldn't see any other symptoms, but we brought him in anyway. He gobbled up some bread, a little fresh lettuce, and a small amount of layena. Still just sitting with his head down on the floor of the crate most of the time.

This afternoon, he noticed another hen was all fluffed up. After we fed the horses, hubby went out to the coop to check, and she was lying on the floor. So, we got another crate and brought her in. We started giving her a couple of drops of "VetRx Poultry Remedy", when she actually seemed to vomit everything out that must have been in her. It just violently spewed all over. He held her for a couple of minutes, then she "spit up" again. Then she made a screeching sound and died.

The rooster is still alive, but he seems lifeless. We gave him some of the VetRx this morning, and put Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes in his water. His comb was bleeding when we brought him in, but I suspect the hens got after him if he was down a little. Other than the fact that he's totally listless, I don't see anything else to describe. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid this is going to go through the entire flock. Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited:
Please post some photos of the birds and their poop.

Sorry about the hen dying like that it sounds like she aspirated.

What does the rooster's crop feel like?
Any chance he ate something dead, rotten or moldy?

How old is he?

Also - I would check for mites. Put white paper towels in the rooster's crate- and if you have light colored bowls you're using for food and water, check the edges - and the top corners of the crates.

Don't come here too often, but I've been a member since Oct. 2010. Last week one of our hens seemed ill. Brought her into the house in a pet carrier the next day (our normal plan when we have a sicky) and she died in a couple of hours.

Yesterday, hubby noticed the rooster seemed all fluffed up, but he was up on a perch. Today, he seemed "blah" and still fluffed up. Couldn't see any other symptoms, but we brought him in anyway. He gobbled up some bread, a little fresh lettuce, and a small amount of layena. Still just sitting with his head down on the floor of the crate most of the time.

This afternoon, he noticed another hen was all fluffed up. After we fed the horses, hubby went out to the coop to check, and she was lying on the floor. So, we got another crate and brought her in. We started giving her a couple of drops of "VetRx Poultry Remedy", when she actually seemed to vomit everything out that must have been in her. It just violently spewed all over. He held her for a couple of minutes, then she "spit up" again. Then she made a screeching sound and died.

The rooster is still alive, but he seems lifeless. We gave him some of the VetRx this morning, and put Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes in his water. His comb was bleeding when we brought him in, but I suspect the hens got after him if he was down a little. Other than the fact that he's totally listless, I don't see anything else to describe. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid this is going to go through the entire flock. Thanks for any ideas.

Just a guess but do you live near any bird flu cases? If not they could have a crop infection of some sort due to the throwing up.
Have they eaten anything rotten? Have you fed them foods they shouldn't eat; citrus, raw potato, avacado, onion, garlic, uncooked rice or uncooked beans?
If you can, speak to a vet about it and see if they have any clue what could be the cause.

Back
Top Bottom