Flock dynamics

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I have a flock of 10 peacocks.1 peacock and 1 peahen are about 9 years old. 1 peahen about 6 years and 4 peahens about 3 year old. Last fall I added 3 white peas (unknown sex yet) that are now 7 month old. Generally everyone gets along although sometimes the older ones would rather avoid the young ones especially when roosting. The white ones always try to find a spot on the roost beside an older one who will nudge them away.
In the last week, one of the young white ones is showing signs of injuries on its neck -missing feathers, a few raw spots but nothing bleeding or deep. I'm thinking it is being nuisance to the older ones, is not taking the more subtle hints and is being pecked to move away. I believe this is occurring during evening or night when they are settling.
I have a mini coop within the large coop where I could isolate the young one each evening. I feel this could be at least a temporary solution but need long term advice.
It is winter where I am, so I don't think this is a spring hormonal issue.
I appreciate any ideas and suggestions.

They have a large area indoor and out with lots of places where they can separate. There is no problems during the day. The issue in only happening when they are vying for roosting space at night. The young ones always trying to roost beside an older one. I have added a number of new roosts which seems to be helping.

Back
Top Bottom