Flock Dynamics

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Morgan7782, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I just have to share this. Today I put my flock together, so now I have one 5 month old Brahma named Monica, three 10-11 week old Wyandottes named Phoebe, Butternut, and Jesse James, and two 15 weekers who are a Barred Rock named Joon, and an EE named Munk.

I have been outside most of the day watching them figure out the pecking order. So far this is how it seems to be working out: Joon is the BOSS, she chases Monica, and the Wyandottes all over until she gives up (she rarely CATCHES them). Monica chases and pecks Munk, and occasionally pecks the Wyandottes to make sure they know she is THEIR boss. Even the Wyandottes chase poor Munk! The only time they don't chase Munk is when Joon is around, and then Joon chases them away. Joon and Munk are besties.

Today the pecking order seems to be: Joon, Monica, Butternut, Jesse James, Phoebe, and finally Munk pulls up the rear. I am surprised Monica and Butternut chase Munk though, because Munk is bigger then Joon. I have come to realize chickens are like dogs, they read energy. Joon's energy is totally and completely confident and assertive, Munk is timid and shy. So in spite of Munk being bigger then the boss, she gets pushed around whenever she happens to be seperated from Joon. If Joon is around Munk, nobody messes with her.

Please share your flock dynamics! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here are pictures of my group in order of Head Hen to Lowest Hen:

Joon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Monica
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Butternut
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jesse James
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Phoebe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Munk
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

lol poor old Munk is being squished! xD

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LOL she burrowed herself under Joon's arm [​IMG] [​IMG] they always cuddle on that big fluffy chair in the dead heat for their afternoon nap haha

4. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    awww, they're so cute! but poor Munk! lol

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LoL Munk isn't picked on excessively thank gosh. Because she is Joon's "right hand man" she has protection that Joon offers. Kinda like a mob hahahaha!! [​IMG] [​IMG] only when Munk wanders away from Joon the other girls will have their revenge hehe there has not been any bad scraps though and no blood so I am relieved it went well!

6. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    Poor Munk she's all neck that's her problem [​IMG]. Nice to hear she can hide behind Joon...what cutie [​IMG]

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LOL and it is funny because Joon will get a hair, or feather, up her bum and go on a chase. Munk follows and eventually tries to take over and chase them too, but any one of the newer girls can turn around and chase Munk away.

Joon is totally her bodygaurd though. If anybody tries to chase or beat Munk up, Joon races over to her rescue. They are definately close!

8. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww lol! You chickens are such cuties! Munk is awesome! 8D

9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Yep I love her [​IMG]

10. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    I really like that Joon and Munk relationship, munk is sweet. [​IMG] Phoebe is looking very pretty too. I find this topic entertaining. I never thought all this social life can be seen in chicken flocks before i bought mine and i really enjoy all that everyday

I have 2 hens and a young rooster. I let them free range for few hours all together and keep the young rooster alone when not free ranging.
    One of my hens is very social, i call her Afterpee, after and pee words have nothing to do with her name which represents a very uncivilized anecdotal way of saying a very rare and stupid name where i come from. She would peck the rooster at any chance.

While she is eating and scratching the soil, she suddenly starts running at the rooster and pecks him even if he is at the other side of the yard, alone ofcourse, then he usually runs at me to protect him. The young rooster looks very brave, and can outrun the hens, but he is only a small bird and cannot fight back yet. I believe he is more brave than the hens. I REALLY HOPE someday those hens will be sorry for every time they thought bad for the young rooster. I wish he becomes the king of my yard and learn everyone his own rules. I want him to be my "connection" between me and the flock

I believe the hens are scared of him growing up and jealus for looking more pretty than them.

Afterpee has made the other hen her slave, the other hen cleans up Afterpee and cares for her, following her around and never going far from her while Afterpee ignores her completely and goes anywhere in the yard without asking [​IMG]. The other hen is such an idiot. She helps Afterpee (slave) to peck the young rooster [​IMG] today she helped Afterpee to throw the rooster off the tree that i was trying to teach him to climb and stay there just to peck him, Afterpee is very social as i said and i am 100% sure she is jealus of me paying more attention to the poor young rooster.

It will not be long until he takes his blood back, hopefully

As for the slave hen, i just thought of a name for her while typing this post. I think i will be calling her Snitch!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by