Flock infested with lice

Silvey17

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 25, 2014
Help please! My entire flock has lice. One of my chickens died yesterday and I say that she was infested with lice. I examined my other chickens and they all have lice too. What do I do?

Until a pro gets here... look up diatomaceous earth. You can use food grade and add it into their dust bath. Kills off mites, so prob good for lice too. Just don't overdo it since too much in the air can lead to respiratory problems.

Last edited:
I've read articles that say if you take wood ash from wood stoves and put it into tires or some container that they can use for a dust bath that it will prevent lice

I've read articles that say if you take wood ash from wood stoves and put it into tires or some container that they can use for a dust bath that it will prevent lice
Wood ash can be used in dust bathing areas to aid in prevention of lice/mites, but it will not eradicate/treat an infestation once it is established.

Yes, you need to use insecticide powder to kill them. Make sure that you re-apply according to the directions, because the nits will contain more babies who will hatch. You need to kill the hatchlings with the insecticide as well.

Just had a lice infestation. Although very hesitant using ivermectin, I put a drop of the pour on type on the back of their necks. You need to go by weight...mine are only about 1 pound so you may need more.You have to clean EVERYTHING!!! I used Poultry Protector spray to clean and I sprayed our chickens vent area and under their wings with it every other day.This and ivermectin should be sold at Tractor Supply or Feed stores.I don't know if this was nesecarry but one of my girls got really ill from the infestation and the first thing I did since I did not have any of those products in the house I took vaseline and rubbed it around their vent area since that seemed to be the place they lingered most. This won't solve the problem but it will suffocate the lice.I am new at this lice thing too but what I did helped so maybe it will help you.Take care of the problem ASAP because one of my girls has been ill for 3 months now and I believe it was because we did not notice the lice until it got bad.Best of luck!

Just had a lice infestation. Although very hesitant using ivermectin, I put a drop of the pour on type on the back of their necks. You need to go by weight...mine are only about 1 pound so you may need more.You have to clean EVERYTHING!!! I used Poultry Protector spray to clean and I sprayed our chickens vent area and under their wings with it every other day.This and ivermectin should be sold at Tractor Supply or Feed stores.I don't know if this was nesecarry but one of my girls got really ill from the infestation and the first thing I did since I did not have any of those products in the house I took vaseline and rubbed it around their vent area since that seemed to be the place they lingered most. This won't solve the problem but it will suffocate the lice.I am new at this lice thing too but what I did helped so maybe it will help you.Take care of the problem ASAP because one of my girls has been ill for 3 months now and I believe it was because we did not notice the lice until it got bad.Best of luck!

Well said.
Bedding should be changed, clean the run and coop. From what I have read (just take a quick search here on BYC) an infestation can linger for quite a while, so you have to be diligent.
The vaseline on the vent won't hurt, but like @MotherhenXOXO states it will not remedy, but can be used for some relief while you get your treatment products.
Once you start treating, if your flock seems to be ill or weak from the infestation, you can up the protein in their feed. Use an all flock type poultry feed that is around 20% protein, they can also have chick starter, scrambled/boiled eggs, tuna, salmon, meats, etc. Just make sure to have oyster shell available for your layers. A little fresh fruit and veggies won't hurt. Also you can add some vitamins/electrolytes to the water once or twice a week may be helpful as well.
Don't forget that a one time treatment generally will not eliminate all lice/mites and their eggs. The nits (eggs) can survive, so treatment is generally recommended 2 more times in 7day increments after the initial treatment.

Last edited:
A family member's flock had lice, and we treated it all in 3 days by using a mixture of castor oil with a couple drops of thieves essential oil (optional but helpful. One drop/teaspoon of oil). We spread it where we saw eggs or lice, then put diatomaceous earth. The eggs were wrapped in the oil + diatomaceous mixture, which dried to a very strong "rock". They never hatched. We continued this for a week every day, but after 3 days there were no lice (and I checked very carefully everywhere). Then we spread the treatments to once per week for 3 weeks in case the eggs hatched. It's recommended to check for lice once or twice a month.

I am in the midst of what must be a bad infestation. I thought my girls were being oversexed by my 3 guys so I put saddles on them. Wrong thing to do. I have 9 layer and unfortunately 3 roosters. Two weeks I got 25 heritage chicks and I notice now it start on them. I just cleaned the coop and runs before the babes came just about the time I realized my boys are not to blame. A couple of the gals now are featherless on their back. Tomorrow I will clean out everything again, dust them with seven. What do I do to the chicks? I also have put garlic powder in their food and increases their protein.

Back
Top Bottom