flock integration... a couple at a time?

chickenbythesea

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
So, I am beginning my flock integration process today. The bigs and littles have been able to see each other through the screen dividing the front and back half of the coop for about 2 weeks now. I am a bit worried at how they'll all merge and am hoping for no blood shed. My big girls are very docile so I have big hopes :). What I've done is taken 3 of the bigs and put them in with 12 littles (ranging from 5-10 weeks). The littles are about half to just over half the size of the bigs. So far, the bigs just seem to be interested in the new run and only occasionally send the littles running for cover. The littles can get away very quickly.

Has anyone tried integrating like this before? If so, was it successful? I am a bit worried about sleeping tonight. When they all come in to roost will there be WW3 or will they just all settle in? Should I leave the doors open until they're all settled so that they can get away from each other if necessary? And finally, will they wake up in the night and have a fight? Thanks for any help.

So, I am beginning my flock integration process today. The bigs and littles have been able to see each other through the screen dividing the front and back half of the coop for about 2 weeks now. I am a bit worried at how they'll all merge and am hoping for no blood shed. My big girls are very docile so I have big hopes :). What I've done is taken 3 of the bigs and put them in with 12 littles (ranging from 5-10 weeks). The littles are about half to just over half the size of the bigs. So far, the bigs just seem to be interested in the new run and only occasionally send the littles running for cover. The littles can get away very quickly.

Has anyone tried integrating like this before? If so, was it successful? I am a bit worried about sleeping tonight. When they all come in to roost will there be WW3 or will they just all settle in? Should I leave the doors open until they're all settled so that they can get away from each other if necessary? And finally, will they wake up in the night and have a fight? Thanks for any help.

My 15 little ones are just 2 weeks old but on my days off I will be putting them outside in their little run (its just a covered 3x5 fence) that we made for them on the the end of the actual run-- we tried it twice before, for a few hours (its too flimsy, I worry about predators, to leave them out all day) and the Big 6 week old chicks (4) checked them out and then pretty much ignored them-- but I did take the smallest of the Big chicks and placed them with the Littles, did not go well, it freaked out and went to attack, so I immediately removed it-- they def do not want to mingle, just coexist side by side for awhile I think...

i just took down one of the openings between the two groups... the bigs are back with the littles... the little are a little freaked out but the bigs aren't really paying too much attention to them... they're just enjoying the new run. We'll see how it goes tonight when they're all together in the coop, that'll be the real test.

they've been together all day with no problems... they're still sleeping on opposite sides of the coop but that's ok. The littles get nervous when the big's get to close but they're so fast it's not a prob. Only the occasional peck so far. We'll see how it goes in the morning: getting up at 5:30 to open the doors at the first crack of light.

good luck.my older gals,still will not accept the young ones.i intergrated months ago.i would love to see peace in the coop and run.

mine are simply ignoring each other. The big girls will come into the back run but only the rooster will go out into the front run. It's been two days and so far so good. There has been the occasional peck on the head by a big to little but other than that, not much action. I do have to admit, my bigs are really laid back. I couldn't even tell you who the head hen is, I'm sure there is one but no one acts dominant. I hope you have peace in your coop soon.

THis is how I do mine and by the time the doors are open none of them really realize that the wire is not there any more. I have four sections that are ony divided by wire so they can all see and interact so there doesn''t seem to be much fuss. They do mostly though want to go back to where they were roosting but after a while they shift around.

Back
Top Bottom