Flock introductions, more babies turning into teens and I want more

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HeatherLynn, Jun 1, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok so I have one mean HUGE rooster, 4 small laying hens, and a mini flock of 13 teens who were raised together. The mini flock is a mix of roosters and pullets. The roos will be dinner or mean Huge Roos replacement. I moved them into the big kid coop last night. They are segregated from the adults with a fence, How long do I keep them separate. I am of the mind the roos should never be around mean HUGE roo because he would try to kill them. With his rough mating he might even kill my pullets. So how do I work this situation? I can't ask for more quarters to be built for mean Huge roo until the goose house and expanded run are completed. How old are chicks when they are finally full grown?

Also I have my silkie and my polish chicks who are in the separate coop from all the others right now. I think this might have to be an always that way situation but can they share the outside run at all?

2. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Can you get a wire dog crate for the roo? I think on the other post you said you free range them so the crate would only be for "coop" time until he learns to behave. Or becomes dinner. I've got a injured hen in a xlarge dog crate right now and she has plenty of room. She doesn't like it much, but it keeps the others from pecking her foot off.

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I can get one. In the coop he is fine so far with the adults, he is horrid outside. They stick to him like glue outside and he takes advantage of it. I am more trying to figure out how to deal with my teens. How long would it take the hens to warm to them and not try to kill them if the roo was not an issue ( locked up or dinner)?

I can't wait to have things a bit more streamlined to cut down on my work load. Having so many separation areas going gets a tad bit work intensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by