FLOCK IS GETTING LARGE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bogee, Mar 7, 2013.

1. bogee

bogee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    It looks like I gotta have my wife and granddaughter barred from TSC during their chick days! Last year we bought 12 production reds and 2 speckled sussex. This year we bought 12 tinted tetras and 2 wynadotes. That would be 28. I came home from work today and there where 6more leghorn chicks in the brooder tub. With the orphan the neighbor gave us and the 1 peep whick we hatched(unfortunately we trusted our dogs around the peeps and lost 9 will never make that mistake again) we now will have 35 chickens laying this summer! gonna have to build a little wagon for the granddaughter to pull around the neighborhood and yell eggs for sale! The chickens are fun though!

1 person likes this.
  2. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Don't worry there is hope Chick days only last several more weeks [​IMG] Right now there are 2 rubbermaid tubs in my livingroom. Both filled with chicks. Can only type with 1 hand cause there is a chick on the other. oppps there goes 1 flying across the room. so much peeping I don't sleep.I said no more but it's CHICK SEASON!!!!!!! Welcome to the world of chick math only we understand it. Good luck with your brood.

1 person likes this.
  3. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    This is exactly what happened to us, except it was me bringing the chicks home [​IMG] Luckily my husband is very understanding, as it sounds like you are :)

4. gcbsmommy

gcbsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    Sounds like you are having a lot of fun! I am sure your granddaughter is storing a lot of great memories along the way! Enjoy! :)

5. chickenmanII

chickenmanII Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    We are the same way, too many chicks, If there is such a thing. My wife is addicted to fluffy butts, she wants them all.

1 person likes this.
  6. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    35 is a good number but you could double that and still be happy :lau

Chick days isn't over for awhile yet, :p :jumpy you will need more feed :D :weee so be prepared for more chicks when you run out of feed :D

7. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    Oh no. . .sooo true! Hadn't thought about that little extra temptation. Thinking that 'bating our own this time (35), would prevent me from picking up extras. [​IMG] I'l need to send my Hubby for feed instead of me. haha

8. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana

It was everything my hubby could do to resist picking up more chicks and he is the one who says I have too many :) don't count of hubby being able to resist those cute little chicks.

9. sphillips

sphillips Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    New Mexico
    I had plans to wait on the 25 chicks I ordered that will be here towards the end of April. We went to TSC this weekend to get some supplies and ended up going home with 6 pullets, per my husbands demand. He couldn't resist the cute little peepers! I'm going to have to keep him away from there or I will end up with WAY TOO MANY![​IMG]

10. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    [​IMG]haha. Thanks, I think!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by