flock issues

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by abooot99, Nov 2, 2009.

1. abooot99

abooot99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2009
    New Ipswich
    I have a few issues with my flock of various breeds.
    #1- young polish pullet is so nervous and scared of the other birds, she spends her days in the coop with two 14 week old silkies- the birds I have aren't vicious killers or aggressive breeds but a few out of the 14 birds tend to chase her away. So she is constantly on the run- unsettled. If they come in to eat, she goes running and tries to get away from them. She is definately a nervous nelly. Sometimes, I think they react to her reacting when they come around. They don't seem to seek her out to chase her or anything.

#2- I have two 14 week old silkies that won't leave the coop. They are afraid of their own shadow and are too frightened to leave the coop to free range like the rest of them. When the older birds come in to eat during the day, the two silkie chicks duck in the corner until they leave and scared. They were raised in a basement of someones home, never been around other birds. New since the end of September.

#3- I have three young guineas that have now decided they want to pick on another silkie (she is tiny but part of the original flock). Now that the guineas are bigger than her, they are chasing her and she is now hiding in the coop with the young polish and two young silkies. She runs like hell when the guineas are close to her because I've seen them go for her. I don't know why.

What the hell! Why all the problems?

The birds free range all day and put themselves to bed at dusk. I have 3 guineas, 2 polish, 2 cochin, 3 silkies, 1 showgirl, 2 silkie mixes, and one favorolle.

They are currently in a 8x4 coop and yes I know its small for 14 birds but 6 are bantam. They aren't all full grown yet. They have plenty of roosting space. I didn't plan to get this many birds but the young ones were rescues somewhat.

Up until recently, things have been peaceful. I have a smaller 3.5x4 foot coop we are finishing up on but its not done quite yet. I was thinking of putting the two young silkies, the young polish, the older silkie thats now getting picked on, and the show girl that is friends with the older silkie.

Any suggestions? Will this help?
    I ask myself whether or not the guineas were a mistake as they seem to be more assertive/borderline aggressive with the young/ the small/newbies.

I plan not to get rid of anyone but just hope to work things out and get everyone settled.

Please advise me anyone.

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Yep, putting the polish and silkies in their own coop sounds like a great idea! I don't have them, but they sure sound like strange chickens, their own breed, and half the time they don't mix well with standards. Having more room for everyone is also very important to keeping the peace.

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Polish are flighty birds. Very nervous. I think it is because of their crests. They don't see well and that makes them nervous. They also become targets for feather pecking. Other chickens like to pick their crests.

Silkies... I don't know there because mine are doing pretty well with the others. It may be a crest issue with them also.

I don't have guineas so I haven't an idea there

4. abooot99

abooot99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2009
    New Ipswich
    does anyone else have any advice? I like to hear more input.

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I can only attest to having one silkie in my flock of 20 plus birds, but she RARELY leaves the coop to frre range, and when she does, it seems like she is hugging the side of the coop! She doesn't go away frmo the outside back wall at all. Sometimes, she just stands at the entrance of the door

6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Oh, the other thought I had was that Guineas can be very bossy and sometimes mean (from what I have read) and all the other chickens you have are usually very easygoing and gentle.
    I think if you gave the guineas their own area and kept them away from the chickens you would see improvement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by