Flock of 80 with coryza outbreak need info!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkiechick1994, Nov 8, 2013.

1. silkiechick1994

silkiechick1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    Ok I have a flock of about 80 chickens total, 53 being silkies and the rest of mixed breeds. I've had a terrible outbreak of some kind of virus, I've only figured out what it is because one of my silkies has her face swollen,nasal discharge that turns yellow when dried. The one I'm most worried about sounds like she's having an asthma attack where her throat seems restricted and she makes this high pitched wheezing sound and squeaks when she sneezes which throws this yellow gunk everywhere. I've read that some antibiotics can help with getting over this stuff but I don't know which ones are storng enough to get this knocked out. I know that my flock will be carriers and I can't sell or get rid of any of them. I only have them for pets so that is not an issue. But I need any info that anyone can offer about this. Has anyone else gone through this with their flock lately? Is this something that can be spread from wild birds? I'm just at a loss of what to do and I'm NOT giving up on my flock. They mean too much to me to cull them. Please help!!!

I also read about Tylan 50 or 200? I have both small and large birds what would be a good dosage? What kind of needle can I use that won't puncture any organs? How and where do I give a shot to the chicken? I give my dogs shots all the time but I've never done it in a chicken before.

NOTE: I've separated all the ones I could see with visible signs. the worst hen is inside and the others are together in another pen.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Is there a bad smell to the drainage? With coryza there is supposed to be a bad smell I have read:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    diagnosis charts at bottom

If it is only one or two birds out of your flock that are ill, I'd separate them pronto!

For antibiotics, search BYC for Tylan and Denaguard. I am not sure that these are even the right medications to use but I know there are lots of threads on those.

I don't know how else to help at the moment. If one of your chickens expires you can send his/her body off for necropsy (contact state vet or county extension agent) so you can know the diagnosis for sure.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I know that tetratime is used here in France... it is a tetracycline powder that can be added to drinking water or can be dosed individually for each chicken... it is effective in treating coryza...

I am so very sorry to hear of this in your flock... I have many Silkies here.... wild birds will bring in all sorts of diseases... good luck!

4. silkiechick1994

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    I have not noticed a bad smell coming from them but I don't know what it would smell like either. If there another virus that mimics all these symptoms?

5. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I will pm somebody who may be able to help you now......

6. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Please stay online... help will be forthcoming!

7. silkiechick1994

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    Thanks to everyone who's helping me I really appreciate it. I read about an antibiotic called Sulmet 5 that might help? It goes in the drinking water though. I have a tractor supply nearby that carries Tylan and the Sulmet 5 that I can get to. I'm not sure if anyone has used these or not but if you have please let me know how well it works and if you injected or gave through water. I need to give them something though I hate to see them suffer.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can give tylan 50 injectable orally, Give each silkie 1/4cc orally once a day for 5-7 days. No foul odor, it's not coryza. Perhaps a severe strain of MG. Your other option is to cull sick birds.

1 person likes this.
  9. silkiechick1994

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    Ok I'll go and get it now. Do you know how much I should give to my full size birds? Thanks again for helping me.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Standard size birds give 1/2cc orally to each bird once a day for 5-7 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by