flock of chickens dying suddenly

chicklove1

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 30, 2012
I had 14 chickens in the coop. They were eating and acting normal in the morning. I went out around noon and gave them some carrot tops. Still acting normal. I went out towards evening to close the coop and the whole flock was dead or dying. What on earth could have caused this? Also, are the eggs I currently collected still eatable.

Oh no, so sorry for your loss. Without knowing what they died from, I would be hesitant to eat the eggs.
Are they locked in a run or are they free range. Could they have eaten something toxic?

Also are you in an area that has avian influenza? This is from the University of Minnesota webpage:

Detecting HPAI early is key to limiting the spread. Sadly, one of the first signs of HPAI is sudden, unexplained death. In 2022, most HPAI cases report poultry drinking less water before unexplained death.

• Egg layers may show signs of depression, have ruffled feathers, and be quieter than normal. Other signs may include purple or dry combs.
If you suspect AI, your state ag dept. will want to know right away! You can call your local rep and they will come out and test your flock.
If you don't think it is AI, you could send one of the bodies into your state lab for a necropsy to determine the cause.

Age and conditions (free range vs confined, and if confined covered vs unconverted run
Any signs of a preditor? Whole flock, think weasle, dog.
Illness, AI as other poster mentioned is spreading. were any showing signs of stress, decreased egg production, respiratory illness?
What type of bedding? New feed?

Oh no, so sorry for your loss. Without knowing what they died from, I would be hesitant to eat the eggs.
Are they locked in a run or are they free range. Could they have eaten something toxic?

Also are you in an area that has avian influenza? This is from the University of Minnesota webpage:

Detecting HPAI early is key to limiting the spread. Sadly, one of the first signs of HPAI is sudden, unexplained death. In 2022, most HPAI cases report poultry drinking less water before unexplained death.

• Egg layers may show signs of depression, have ruffled feathers, and be quieter than normal. Other signs may include purple or dry combs.
If you suspect AI, your state ag dept. will want to know right away! You can call your local rep and they will come out and test your flock.
If you don't think it is AI, you could send one of the bodies into your state lab for a necropsy to determine the cause.
They are locked in a run with a coop attached. They didn't seem depressed or have fuffled feather. One had poop attached to its vent.

Age and conditions (free range vs confined, and if confined covered vs unconverted run
Any signs of a preditor? Whole flock, think weasle, dog.
Illness, AI as other poster mentioned is spreading. were any showing signs of stress, decreased egg production, respiratory illness?
What type of bedding? New feed?
Covered and run confined. They actually had increased egg production. They have hay inside the coop, just ground on the run.

I'm so sorry for you loss - devastating! It really sounds like AI but in a covered and confined run, doesn't seem likely. What chance do any of our birds have if completely secure chickens are getting it.
Please let us know if you find the cause.

I'm sorry for your loss, how heartbreaking this must be!

Losing this many in 1 day, unless you see obvious signs of a predator attack, it's best to contact your state lab and send a few carcasses to them for diagnostics.
There's really no way to know what happened with them being checked out further.
You can look up your lab in the link below. Bag up 2-3 carcasses and refrigerate them. Go ahead and see about calling your lab today, talk to them, most have a shipping label you can print. If one is close by, you may be able to just deliver in person.

It's possible AI might be the cause, but likely you would have noticed sick birds with symptoms for a couple of days before they all just passed suddenly.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sorry for your loss. What state are you located? Besides contacting your state vet early Monday morning to find out about getting a necropsy on a couple of bodies, I would go look at your feed, smell it and look for any moisture or mold inside the container. It can only take a couple of raindrops to start mold in a feed container. Mold poisoning can kill quickly. Avian influenza is in the news lately, but it could be a few things.

Back
Top Bottom