Flock of Nerdfighters

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Nemmie, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Nemmie

Nemmie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Hey there!

I was wondering how many Nerdfighters there are on backyard chickens and what sort of birds the Nerdfighter community has. Who knows, maybe there'll be some strange trend in what we all have.

[​IMG]

I myself have leghorns (unfortunately the one at the back Casserole died a few week back)

But what do you have?

DFTBA x

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    French the llama! I didn't know there were nerdfighters on here! I have Buff Orpingtons and Black Stars.

3. SJ

SJ Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    What pray tell is a "Nerdfighter"?

4. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

X2!

5. katsdar

katsdar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    X3 thought I was just behind the times glad someone else asked the question, now to wait for the answer.

6. Nemmie

Feb 18, 2013
    This may be long so I hope I sum it up enough that you get a general idea c:

Nerdfighters are an online community of people of all ages whose main goal is to decrease world suck. Which pretty much means aiming to make the world a better place. The community was originally started by John Green (New York Times Bestselling Author) and his younger brother Hank Green (Musician and founder of DFTBA Records) who in 2007 began to create a series of vlogs in order to communicate to each other and have gained the name and reputation of The Vlogbrothers after their youtube channel. They began to accumulate a following and a community grew from fans of their videos who enjoyed their nerdy ways.

Each year they hold the Project for Awesome where members of the community choose a charity of their choice and make a video to say why people should donate to their charity. Along side this money is raised by the rest of the online community and then the five charity videos with the most attention gets a portion of the funds raised sent to that charity. They also hold several other ongoing charitable events.

Nerdfighteria is more than about just helping people though. It's about expanding each others knowledge of sometimes bizarre and weird things. For example, DFTBA records, originally a record company set up by Hank Green to promote up and coming artists of youtube now also funds various other projects. On Youtube there are a series of channels and youtubers supported by DFTBA records including Michael Aranda (musician, director, screen writer etc), Emily Graslie and The Brain Scoop (an informational youtube series based upon zoology), Scishow which promotes and explains the latest scientific news from around the globe.

It's not all about learning and charity though, a lot of nerdfighteria is just about being part of an awesome community of people with amazing ideas and a passion for things considered nerdy.

In the words of John Green "If you want to be a Nerdfighter, you already are one"

7. katsdar

katsdar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    So would I be a nerd because my brain is full of useless stuff like a fly only lives 12 days and turtles can breathe out their butt and an armadillo can walk under water, or am I just weird? [​IMG]

8. Nemmie

Feb 18, 2013
    I think those just come under general knowledge :p

9. SJ

SJ Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Personal convictions towards world betterment through charitable works-Check
    Vast base of obscure knowledge-Check
    Obession with science-check
    Own an icosahedron-[​IMG]check

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by