Flock Protector

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Game Bird Guy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Game Bird Guy

Game Bird Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    Hi.
    Is there a breed of chicken, duck, goose or turkey, or anything other than a dog, that will protect my flock of laying hens from mink, hawks and other common predators? I have Leghorn, RIR and BR roosters with them already and they do nothing to protect the hens. Thanks.
    Kramer

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    Guinea hens are very aggressive against predators, but they also beat up the roosters! Seriously! Best defense is fencing!

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2

4. Game Bird Guy

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    Thanks so much. I never new guineas were agressive. Kramer

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Is there a breed of chicken, duck, goose or turkey, or anything other than a dog, that will protect my flock of laying hens from mink, hawks and other common predators?

Not really

Even Guineas get killed if not fenced and cooped​

6. Game Bird Guy

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    Quote:Not really

Even Guineas get killed if not fenced and cooped

All my birds are fenced and cooped but in the day, mink come into my run and kill chickens and quail in my other coop. Kramer

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have you tried trapping the mink? They are not all that difficult to catch. There is no bird that is capable of protecting a flock from a mink.

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    When I was a younger boy, some 60 years ago, about all I ever saw of guinea's was feathers on the road. Lots of feathers. They were always getting run over. I always thought they were the dumbest birds I had ever seen. And loud, mercy me.

9. Game Bird Guy

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    Quote:I have tried to catch the mink, for 3 months, but it completely ignores the trap and goes for the living birds

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nothing will protect against a mink other than maybe a dog or cat catching it. No rooster, no guinea will kill a weasel. They'll more likely be its victims. Guineas may be alarms, but are not actual protectors as such. I've had them. They're extremely loud and will alarm at everything, but they are just as vulnerable as chickens to predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by