Flock Question

bex1983

Songster
May 7, 2019
Hi,

I have 7 9 week old ducklings who I hatched together and they have never been apart. We have figured out that we have 3 drakes and 4 hens. Someone recently posted that they have a lone duck after its buddy passed away (It is a 7 month old female). Because I know I will eventually need to rehome the drakes I offered her one drake and one hen. I’m worried though, since these babies have been together their whole lives, how hard on them will this be and how will it affect the other 5 who are left with me? I’m assuming I will still at some point have to rehome another of my drakes and sadly have to give up another female just to feel better about someone from their clutch going with them, but man this is hard. :( And how do you pick who to let go? They all come up and talk to me and bob their heads up and down as soon as I go outside, my drakes usually being first.

I just rehomed 4 drakes and with help of a member here they went to 2 homes in 2’s which sure was nice since these boys were so closely bonded. Hopefully something like that will work for you because I sure understand how hard it can be to have to give them up.
I wish the boys could go together but because the person who wants 2 has 1 female I can’t in good conscience do that :( But I am sending two from the flock so they should be bonded together since they were all hatched and raised together. I also hope they are ok because their new flock will only be 3 ducks and they are used to a group of 7 :hmm I’m sure I’m putting way too much thought emotion and personification into it but it’s so hard! I don’t want to make any of them sad.

Two of mine will be the only ducks and I just keep hoping once hormones kick in they will still want them. I understand we get so attached emotionally to them since having them from hatch. But so far I have been assured all 4 are doing great. The flock of 3 will do fine once they bond. I haven’t any doubts about that. Just be sure to explain to new owners that slow integration is best that way they have time separated but close to get to know each other.

Well can't say they won't miss anyone. My 2 that remained behind out of that group of 6 sure were upset for a while when their flock left. They looked for them for a few days and didn't even want to sleep in their coop. They are now bonding with my 4 week olds so things are working out.

Well can't say they won't miss anyone. My 2 that remained behind out of that group of 6 sure were upset for a while when their flock left. They looked for them for a few days and didn't even want to sleep in their coop. They are now bonding with my 4 week olds so things are working out.
Aww that breaks my heart. Hopefully because there will be more left than are leaving the remaining won’t have an issue? The two leaving though, I feel extra terrible :(

Back
Top Bottom