Flock questions!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ShadowsFIAL, Mar 8, 2013.

1. ShadowsFIAL

ShadowsFIAL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have a few questions about breeds I can keep together. I have a salmon faverolle cockerel and pullet, 4 months old, and I am wanting to get a few more bird sin my flock, i am going to get a few pullets that are close to laying go in with them, as well as get chicks to raise inside till they are older and can go out with the rest. I wanted to know is silkies would be okay to put in with them, as well as a few millle fleur. i have heard of people having no problems with having bantams in their flocks, but I wanted to check. Perhaps it is just a thing that depends on the birds? I am going to be having possibly frizzle turkeins, americana's, araucanas, easter eggers, rhode island reds, brown and white leghorns, buff orpington, sex links, giants, brahmas, and wyandottes. Might get all of them, might only get a few of these. Depends on what I can find locally. Just wanted to know if they would be ok. =) I would love to have them as mother hens to hatch out eggs every once in a while. I would love to have the silkies so that I could order hatching eggs and set them under her, since I don't have an incubator. If I need to have a little separate pen for that I might be able to do it. Also, I have my two flock members on dumor layer crumble feed, is this a Good feed, or should I go ahead and use purina? I used purina in my flock before, and they did fine on it, but I like how dumor has various types of feed like for show birds and such.

2. The bantams will get picked on by the other chickens. There is always the choice of having a large fowl coop and a bantam coop!
    Good Luck!

3. ShadowsFIAL

ShadowsFIAL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    thanks much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by