FLOCK RAISER FEED and OYSTER SHELLS???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickie<3, Aug 8, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chirping

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I will be putting my 6 week old chicks with my 16 week pullets...i'm concerned about the food situation...so i have benn doing research on my options...seems the best option is flock raiser with a dish of oysters on the side for the soon to be layer to eat..and once they r all laying i can change back to layer pellets or mash...ANYONE USE FLOCK RAISER or have any suggestions on the feed situation...NOTE: i have limited space and cant section off the chickens with their proper food.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Flock Raiser is generally used for poultry that need extra protein, such as turkeys and ducks. Layena should be a good choice for your older girls.

As for combining the 6 wk old with the older birds, be prepared for some disagreements in the flock. They will most likely bully the smaller chicks. Personally, I would keep them separated a little long and keep them on chick starter.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Crowing

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    chickie<3 :

I will be putting my 6 week old chicks with my 16 week pullets...i'm concerned about the food situation...so i have benn doing research on my options...seems the best option is flock raiser with a dish of oysters on the side for the soon to be layer to eat..and once they r all laying i can change back to layer pellets or mash...ANYONE USE FLOCK RAISER or have any suggestions on the feed situation...NOTE: i have limited space and cant section off the chickens with their proper food.

I have a huge mixed flock, ranging from three years down to about 12 weeks - they get flock raiser with free fed oyster shell - the young ones got chick starter until they were about 8 weeks old, at that age they went into the coop with the big girls. It works well so far, no need to buy different feeds for the age differences. Everyone is healthy and happy. I may have an odl thread saved, I will check and post it if I can find it​

4. I have pullets at 3 different ages...only one group is laying so I went to Purina Flock Raiser and put a tuna can of oyster shell up for this group. They seem to like it much better than the Dumor starter/grower feed I had been feeding...new feeder so they are not billing or scratching it out...a 50# bag has lasted a month...longest thus far. They get lots of 'greens' from my garden plus BOSS & frozen homemade yogurt/overripe bananas, and our leftovers.

Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    That's what I do too except I use gamebird feed instead of flockraiser since it's easier to find around here. No problems at all with it and I love not having to try to keep all the different groups on their own feed--don't think I could anyhow since they all freerange and sleep together.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have a flock of 3-4-5 month olds in that order. I will be feeding grower/finisher and offering oyester shell. Way too many ages to try and keep the layer from being eaten by the babies.

Chickens do just fine on grower/finisher + oyester shell. [​IMG]

7. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chirping

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT... Sounds like I will keep the 5 chickens in my garage in their brooder until they are 8 weeks old on chicken starter then put them in the coop with the older girls and everyone will get flock raiser with a dish of crushed oyster shells.
    As far as intergrating them...i will put the chicks in the run during the day when they are like 3 weeks old while the big girls free range so they can see them but cant get to them...hopefully by the time they move in together they will be used to seeing each other and play nice and have a chicken tea party.

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I feed flock raiser from hatch for all my birds. I would use game bird grower the same way if i could find any locally that wasn't medicated.

9. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Crowing

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    chickie<3 :

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT... Sounds like I will keep the 5 chickens in my garage in their brooder until they are 8 weeks old on chicken starter then put them in the coop with the older girls and everyone will get flock raiser with a dish of crushed oyster shells.
    As far as intergrating them...i will put the chicks in the run during the day when they are like 3 weeks old while the big girls free range so they can see them but cant get to them...hopefully by the time they move in together they will be used to seeing each other and play nice and have a chicken tea party.

Not sure about that tea party - there's gonna be some pecking going on during the cocktail hour..............​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by