Flock raiser for combined hens and chicks?

Camille13

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 1, 2009
I am hearing that flock raiser (from Purina) can be fed to chicks and hens alike as long as laying hens have access to oyster shells? I have 4 babies that are almost a month old now, and I want to let them all hang out with the older flock, with mama of course. I was doing this and all was well socially, but they kept eating the laying feed, and I was worried about their itty bitty kidneys. So I separated them with mama in a l smaller area of their run, and give them grower, and layers laying feed. I normally feed them organic feed, so that is my next question. Is there such thing as organic flock raiser? Maybe from another company? I know there is a solution other than putting feed up higher for the layers. The babies seem to find their way to it. Thanks.

Thanks. I was seeing that the chicks need starter until eight weeks. So, hens that are laying just know instinctively that they need to munch on the oyster shells too?

Yup, they will get they oyster shell if they need it, if not, they will leave it alone.

Is the flock raiser medicated?

I have the same dilemma with my varying aged chickens not all laying yet. I have 2 that are laying & 9 that are 14-15 weeks old. I've been giving mine medicated chick grower to all of them with calcium on the side for the laying hens BUT isn't that a problem with the "medicated" grower feed and the eggs? I don't want to do without the medicated feed as they weren't vaccinated, but I don't want to eat the eggs with the medication in them.

What would you recommend?

Flcok Raiser is not medicated and can be given at any age, I was told it was suitable for growing meatbirds that would be butchered in a few weeks. Starter though for little ones though. I have fed flock raiser to adults with no issues.

The only thing one feed store I sometimes go to in Susanville, Ca. (rural NE Cal.) is Purina Start and Grow. They recommend it until the chickens start laying, and it is medicated. My personal opinion is that all that medication is overkill. So, after two weeks, I switch mine to non-medicated grower.

I feed flock raiser in all ages, from hatching to laying, no problems and they are not medicated.

When my girls need extra calcium, I combine Layena with Flock Raiser, and gives them the benefits of both.

I give chick starter to all my chicks for the first 8 weeks. Then they get grower/finisher, which is essentially the same as Flock Raiser, and is what everybody over 8 weeks old gets. Oyster shell is available free choice for the layers.

Back
Top Bottom