Flock raiser for combined hens and chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Camille13, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Camille13

Camille13 In the Brooder

May 1, 2009
    I am hearing that flock raiser (from Purina) can be fed to chicks and hens alike as long as laying hens have access to oyster shells? I have 4 babies that are almost a month old now, and I want to let them all hang out with the older flock, with mama of course. I was doing this and all was well socially, but they kept eating the laying feed, and I was worried about their itty bitty kidneys. So I separated them with mama in a l smaller area of their run, and give them grower, and layers laying feed. I normally feed them organic feed, so that is my next question. Is there such thing as organic flock raiser? Maybe from another company? I know there is a solution other than putting feed up higher for the layers. The babies seem to find their way to it. Thanks.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I'd feed them all chick starter until the chicks were about eight weeks old then I'd go to the Flock Raiser. Oyster shell on the side of course.

3. Camille13

Camille13 In the Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Thanks. I was seeing that the chicks need starter until eight weeks. So, hens that are laying just know instinctively that they need to munch on the oyster shells too?

4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Yup, they will get they oyster shell if they need it, if not, they will leave it alone.

5. clacasse88

clacasse88 Songster

Sep 13, 2009
    Is the flock raiser medicated?

I have the same dilemma with my varying aged chickens not all laying yet. I have 2 that are laying & 9 that are 14-15 weeks old. I've been giving mine medicated chick grower to all of them with calcium on the side for the laying hens BUT isn't that a problem with the "medicated" grower feed and the eggs? I don't want to do without the medicated feed as they weren't vaccinated, but I don't want to eat the eggs with the medication in them.

What would you recommend?

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I've never heard of a medicated version of Flock Raiser though I suppose some regions might have it.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master 11 Years

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Flcok Raiser is not medicated and can be given at any age, I was told it was suitable for growing meatbirds that would be butchered in a few weeks. Starter though for little ones though. I have fed flock raiser to adults with no issues.

8. Camille13

Camille13 In the Brooder

May 1, 2009
    The only thing one feed store I sometimes go to in Susanville, Ca. (rural NE Cal.) is Purina Start and Grow. They recommend it until the chickens start laying, and it is medicated. My personal opinion is that all that medication is overkill. So, after two weeks, I switch mine to non-medicated grower.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I feed flock raiser in all ages, from hatching to laying, no problems and they are not medicated.

When my girls need extra calcium, I combine Layena with Flock Raiser, and gives them the benefits of both.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I give chick starter to all my chicks for the first 8 weeks. Then they get grower/finisher, which is essentially the same as Flock Raiser, and is what everybody over 8 weeks old gets. Oyster shell is available free choice for the layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: