Flock raiser from purina? help? hahaha

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rirbrahma, Nov 16, 2011.

1. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    Aloha guys,
    I have chickens from 1 year to 5 weeks. I can't find a store that'll sell 50 pounds of start and grow chick feed. Will flock raiser with oyster shell on the side be good?
    I'm just worried about the high protein... Will it be okay?
    [​IMG]

Thank you!!!

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    The high protein will be fine. I always seem to have a mixed age going and thats what I feed everyone. It saves a lot of headaches trying to make sure everyone gets the right food and you don't have 2-3 bags of food laying aroundgoing stale if you don't have many chicks. 50 lbs of chick starter can take a long time to go thru if like me rightnow I only have 4 chicks that would be eating it and it would be preey stale by the time I got to the bottom of the bag.

3. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    Quote:Hahaha!! I know! Its hard separating everyone for feeding time [​IMG] ahaha I have 22 chickens. I think the 50lb should be good [​IMG] Thank you!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That Flock Raiser should be 20% protein. It will be fine. Don't get too hung up on trying to feed them exactly only this or that. They have a pretty good range of what they can eat and remain healthy and productive.

I'd stay away from the high protein feed meant for game birds and not chickens. Too much of a good thing is not necessarily a good thing, but that 20% Flock Raiser is not a problem at all.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Flockraiser will work with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by