Flock Raiser?

gvntofly05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 21, 2009
IN
I was going to switch my hens over to Flock Raiser but my TSC only has it in crumbles. Do they make Flock Raiser in pellets?

I really like the pellets because my hens don't waste it as much. I have heard good things about feeding a higher protein feed with free choice oyster shell. For those who feed Flock Raiser, do you get better egg production with the higher protein? Also I have some ducks and I will be adding my roos and young pullets to the flock in a few weeks and I want to be able to have them all on the same feed.

We only have our meaties on it right now, but all I have seen is crumbles. I'll look today when I am at TSC since I have to get a couple more bags anyway. I haven't tried it with our layers, but I have heard that mixing it in with the Layena does help so I may give it a try. If I find it in crumbles today I'll come back and post to let you know.

I've had my six on Flock Raiser and oyster shell ever since they were weaned from the medicated starter so I have nothing to compare it with. However, I average five eggs per day despite not having production layers and I've never had a soft shelled egg in four months of laying. The girls are very healthy and happy (except when they can't go destroy the yard) and survived a very hard winter. I would recommend it. Flock Raiser is 20% protein and I think in colder climates a little extra protein is good for them.

Mary

Flockraiser does come in pellets. But I haven't been able to acces it. I have asked several of the Purina feed stores around here to see if their distributor can get it. But apparently it's not available in the mountain west area. I would LOVE to get Flockraiser in pellets since everytime I get the crumbles the stuff is like dust.

Flock Raiser definitely comes in both pellets and crumbles (it actually comes in medicated as well), but I don't think all forms are available in all areas. Both of the feed stores I go to only have it in crumbles, but other BYC'ers have found it in pellets.

I think it is probably a good feed if you have a mixed flock and don't want to buy multiple feeds. It does have the same issues though that any feed of its type does. These "triple-duty" type feeds have been done forever. For me personally, it just does not adequately fit the needs of my flock. By the time I add things to it to make it work for my various birds, I could have just bought different feeds. As I said though, for a mixed flock, it is probably fine.

I haven't seen the flockraiser pellets where I am in the north. I'm fine with crumbles though. I've had all the chickens on it since last year. Free choice oyster shell. We have mixed ages, and worked very well for everyone.

Bluemoon

I have chickens and am getting ducks so I was thinking about using this flockraiser. It is odd that someone asked about this at almost the same time that I was. This is perfect.
thumbsup.gif
My question is would this be adequate for both? I want them both to have what they need for their health and happiness. Anything for the babies.
tongue2.gif
I never thought about them coming in pellets or not. This may be something to think about...

My feedstore carries Flock Raiser crumbles and pellets, but my chickens won't eat the pellets. Occasionally the loaders will make a mistake and give me pellets, but I have to wet them and turn them into a mash before my hens will touch it. And that's too bad, because they sure waste a lot of the crumbles.

If it was up to me, I'd make the pellets smaller!

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.ChickenTrackin.com

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom