Flock Raiser

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by R.M. Hens, Jun 22, 2011.

1. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    I just called my feed store and YES they do have flock raiser!!! [​IMG] After reading many posts about feeding flock raiser, I think this is the way to go for my flock. BUT... the Purina website says feed flock raiser until 18-20 weeks then switch to Layena. Right now I have 7 hens laying, 4 more should start in the next couple of weeks, 1 hen a week or two after that, 1 roo, and I am about to add 10 ten and half week olds to the flock. I always offer oyster shell to my big girls, some scratch and treats of course, but other than that just laying pellets. Should I still switch to flock raiser even though it says to feed up to 18-20 weeks? [​IMG]

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like you're almost out of the "raiser" time frame and probably should just keep them on the layer feed, or not, there isn't much difference in the two feeds except the raiser has a higher protien amount and the layer has calcium in it for the egg shell production, but if you're already offering oyster shell to your girls then you could go either way and do whatever you want and it really shouldn't matter.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd use the Flock Raiser and oyster shell on the side until your youngsters reach 18-20 weeks. I think it's less of a risk to feed layers a higher level of protein and vitamins than they need than to feed chicks a higher level of calcium.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I feed flock raiser FULL time to my flock. I would not and do not feed layer feed (or chick starter) - I would need a million bags of different stuff [​IMG]

I have birds - chickens - as old as 4 yrs and still laying and chicks who hatch - almost monthly. It is great for all from hatch to "the end" whatever that may be for your flock.

Flock raiser is extra great if you have roosters.

Just offer your flock oyster shells on the side, in its own dish free choice.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Quote:Perhaps you can answer this for me, then. What is the theory behind reducing protein in the feed at age of lay? Egg white is almost pure protein so the birds must surely be losing protein like crazy. My "corporate greed" bias tells me it's cheaper to make a lower protein, lower vitamin, higher in (heavy) calcium feed but I don't really know.

6. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    Well, I think I've decided to go with the flock raiser and oyster shell on the side. Hopefully this will be the best option for my mixed flock. Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. I tell ya, I have no idea what I would do without BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by