Flock Raiser?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovesgliders, Jul 30, 2011.

1. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    My three ducks are Mallards, and are nearly six weeks old. They have plowed through their spendy 50# bag of Mazuri waterfowl starter and now I am thinking it's time to transition them to something cheaper that I can purchase locally.

Thing is, my local feed store only had Flock Raiser and layer pellets. I bought a bag of each. I'm not sure if I should mix it 50/50 or if the straight Flock Raiser is OK to give them, ooooorrrr...? (I have soon-to-lay chickens so the layer pellets won't go to waste.)

Feel free to throw recommendations at me, I will beg the feed store guys to special order me stuff if that is what my duckies need!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I wouldn't feed laying food till ready to lay around 5 months on. As for FR thats all I've ever feed my ducks, chickens and goose and have never had any problems or illness, so it must be pretty good stuff. I am adding Brewers yeast to it though since I have a 2 month old duckling.

3. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:I wouldn't feed laying food till ready to lay around 5 months on. As for FR thats all I've ever feed my ducks, chickens and goose and have never had any problems or illness, so it must be pretty good stuff. I am adding Brewers yeast to it though since I have a 2 month old duckling.

Thank you! that was all I was needing to know. (wasn't sure if Flock Raiser was OK for pet ducks or not)

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I use a different brand, not Purina, of the same sort of thing, called All Flock. Good for chickens of all ages (after chick starter) and ducks, geese, turkeys.

Plus greens and other stuff for treats.

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Purina Flock Raiser is a recommended feed by Dave Holderread, so although I've never used it, I would not hesitate to do so. But DON'T feed the layer until they are close to laying age. It can actually cause them significant problems if they're not ready for the higher calcium levels. Good luck!

6. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed purina flock raiser too. But I do add niacin tablet to their waterer.

7. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I also feed Flock Raiser but once they hit two weeks old I start mixing in scratch grain to lower the protein a bit. 2 parts flock raiser to 1 part scratch grains to bring it down around 16%

8. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed mine Flock Raiser pretty much exclusively. Once in awhile they will get scratch or layer if I run out, but it's not often.

They seem to be pretty healthy. They do free range and have a good sized pond. I often see them "fishing" and assume they are catching the minnows.

For the most part all the birds get Flock Raiser and seem to be fine. They prefer it to anything I've tried (except the scratch).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by