Flock Raiser......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by new2chickens2011, Sep 19, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Flock Raiser is what you give your chicks when they are about six weeks old to when they start laying, right?? Sorry if that is wrong or a stupid question.

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Some recommend continuing with chick starter until they're about 18 weeks. The chick starter we were feeding said to feed it for that long. DH wasn't comfortable using medicated that long so we are feeding multi flock but ours are almost 17 weeks now and we started them on it about a week or so ago. I'll add oyster shell once they start laying and after that we may switch to layer.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    At six weeks you can feed Flock Raiser if you don't want to search out a grower feed. Or you can just keep them on the chick starter until you find the first eggs.

There are several ways you can go here and they will all work.

Let them free range if you can. If you can't them give them fresh green feed every day or two, about what they can clean up in ten to fifteen minutes. Keep other treats very limited. They need to be getting most of their nutrition from their feed.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I continued using medicated but now am mixing 50 / 50 with next feed until they get to about 20 weeks and then put them on a laying feed regiment

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by