Flock record keeping

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AutomaChicks, Mar 20, 2015.

1. AutomaChicks

AutomaChicks New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    fort mill, sc
    My first flock started laying a month ago and the super data nerd in me is excited about keeping track of my egg production. Before I build my own application, is anyone using anything other than paper that I should try?
    I looked on the Google Play store and the only app in there has under 3 stars and seems to not be supported any more. If you keep track of anything, what do you keep track of?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I just use a spread sheet with multiple sheets to track and make notes on all kinds of things but mostly egg collection, egg sales and feed costs.

3. Theofire88

Theofire88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    Great idea! I might actually try that too!!!

4. AutomaChicks

AutomaChicks New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    fort mill, sc
    Thanks! I'm building this into an Access database. When I'm finished, I'll send you a copy. If there is anything you want me to build into it besides what you posted above, let me know.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't really know how to use a database software...I used Excel because I had it and knew how to use it well enough for want I wanted to track.
    Works for me, I'm not much interested in learning new software anymore.

6. AutomaChicks

AutomaChicks New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    fort mill, sc
    The nice thing about Access is that if it's set up you don't need to learn anything new but I totally understand the whole don't fix something that's not broken. Thanks for the feedback :)
    Btw. I just checked out your coop story and hope I didn't get too much drool on it. Nicely done!

7. zion1234

zion1234 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2015
    Peace and Calming
    hello

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Gotta be able to modify the tracking, add, subtract, adjust, etc.....Thanks.

9. RuzichFamily

RuzichFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Martinsburg, IL
    I just made an excel spreadsheet. Nothing fancy, just tracking the stuff important to me.

10. pagefarm

pagefarm New Egg

Jun 9, 2015
    I am also interested in the data. I have been looking or a spreadsheet for feed consumption. This year we purchased 200 chicks from a local feed store and i am overwhelmed at the amount of feed we are going through. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by