Flock seperation by sex is it a good idea

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Doug the Chicken Man, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    We are considering the pros and cons of flock segregation by sex for the winter.
    Our problem is that when we take ½ of the flock out to the portable run for the day there is no problem. But when they come in it is a mating free for all, with 2 of the pullets bearing the brunt of the mating. We would only combine the selected roo and hen when we would want them to mate. If we do this how far should the other coop be away from the first. Currently they can see from one run to the other run, is this ok.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've never had luck keeping a pen of roosters close to the main coop where they can see the hens. Roosters always seem to start fighting among themselves. Try putting up a barrier to where they can't see any activity.

3. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

yes, i totally agree with tuffoldhen, i have my pens set up in a fashion to keep the visual of the females out of sight, and away from the females pens. also helps the boys from rubbing off their combs against the wire pens.

4. Doug the Chicken Man

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    That is what I was wondering about. So if I have the bachelor pen visually obscured from the main pen it should work out OK. What if I still have some roo's in with the main pen will the noise from them cause any problems with the bachelor's?

5. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I have sevral breeds that when Im done hatching I allow to run togather. When Feb. comes I seperate the groups untill March when I know the eggs are good from the roos they were put in with in Feb. I get all the hatching eggs I want and then ... turn them loose again.
    I have kept all the roos togather in the past, I have also put one roo in each rabbit pen. This allows my pens to serve a dual purpuse. My rabbit pens are 20x20 and cages 8x4 so no one is cramped. I have also seen down south where they stake out the roos and they have a small shelter. It works

6. Doug the Chicken Man

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    The other thing we are considering is separating the bantams from the standards, as it is a mixed breed flock of about 50 birds between the two coops, but that only reduces the number of hens in the bantam pen as the males outnumber the hens then. So I will have to do more research and see if I have a plan C

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by