Flock size

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seminolewind, Aug 22, 2011.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have 17 in one flock. They free range, and the coop is 10x12. But what I want to know is do chickens get upset if there is too many? They seem good right now. But if I add 6, are they going to be stressed?

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Yes over crowding can cause loads of stress and fights and cannibalism plus egg eating not to mention a drop in egg production due to the stress and over heating it is just bad all around, I usually try to have at least 4 feet of floor space per chicken maybe only 3 if they free rang all the time, you could have about 30 hens in the house you have now but I would never put as many as you could fit in there maybe 6 more wouldn't be to bad but I wouldn't put anymore

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I see you live in Florida so your only concern is heat. Since we must keep our hens indoors during weeks of snowbound weather, we simply cannot overfill the barn in the winter. The 4 sq ft per bird rule pretty much goes out the window in the winter time. You could easily keep birds at that ratio, since your weather allows outdoor time all year 'round.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree, you have plenty of room for 6 more in that climate. They will be stressed when adjusting to the new flock dynamic, yes, but that will settle down.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks, all. Maybe I should have used that word "dynamics". I have plenty of room for more, but yes, I was worried about the dynamics and stress, if any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by