Flock sneezing, some sound congested, rooster's crow is squeaky

Newtie

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Hello. I recently posted about a gasping hen who was housed in one of my runs. Unfortunately now chickens in another run are sneezing and few sound like there is a rattle in their throats. The rooster's crow is very squeaky. There's no evidence of discharge or any other respiratory issue. I've checked their coop, changed the bedding, and looked everything over. Nothing seems amiss.

I'm a bit on my own when it comes to chickens. The only vet around who will work with chickens tends to charge a ridiculous amount before saying they haven't a clue and sending us home. The last 3 times we brought in chickens the bills were about $1000 and we had nothing to show for it.

All of the chickens received SafeGuard for worms 2 months ago. We did bring in 6 new hens (after a quarantine period) a few weeks ago, but they are in another run and not showing any symptoms. No one in that run is sneezing.

Help? Is there something I can get to give them? Unfortunately my bottle of Tylan 200 expired in 2019.

As you probably know, respiratory diseases in chickens remain in the flock for life until all birds are gone. They are chronic and the chicken always has the disease for life.
Some diseases may be viruses that clear up in a month or so. I would be tempted to use the Tylan if it helped before, or get some Tylosin powder to put in the water here:
https://foyspetsupplies.com/tylan-powder-100-gr/

Dosage for chickens is 2 tsp per gallon for 3-5 days.

I don't know if it'll help because I'm going through about the exact same thing right now. I have a "farmer" friend that told me to warm up vetrx, put it in a clean waterer, and then add microbial silver (a very small amount) for 5 days. Someone else also told me to spray them in the face with the silver with a squirt bottle which I haven't done yet. Some are showing improvements.

I don't know if it'll help because I'm going through about the exact same thing right now. I have a "farmer" friend that told me to warm up vetrx, put it in a clean waterer, and then add microbial silver (a very small amount) for 5 days. Someone else also told me to spray them in the face with the silver with a squirt bottle which I haven't done yet. Some are showing improvements.
Thank you for sharing! Are you diluting the VetRx in the water or is that for them to free choice drink. Are you using gel-based silver or have you found it as a liquid?

Thank you for sharing! Are you diluting the VetRx in the water or is that for them to free choice drink. Are you using gel-based silver or have you found it as a liquid?
I put the vetrx in a pan of water and warm it all up. This is the silver I have. It's a liquid

Attachments

• IMG_20201120_123613.jpg
    IMG_20201120_123613.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 1
Thank you everyone. It seems to be nearly impossible to obtain Tylan right now - I'll see if Foys will let me check out. So far I called every store and many online sellers before posting and no one seems to have it in-stock. The ones who do have a version require a script and, as I shared in my original post, my vet is expensive and useless. Tylan was my first inclination but all I have is an expired bottle.

Are there any other readily available antibiotics that you suggest?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom