1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flock staying in coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by heather28, Oct 26, 2016.

1. heather28

heather28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2016
    North Carolina'
    Hi I'm new here but I have a flock of 22 Rhode Island reds with 4roos in the mix we r planning on getting rid of 2roos too much for the flock well anyways recently they have started staying in the coop during the day and they haven't started laying yet they are just about 5mths is there anything wrong with staying in the coop also how can I fix it if there is.

2. DonHess

DonHess Out Of The Brooder

I think this is very odd.

Could they be scared of something in the immediate area? I would force them out of the hen house one way or another and see what they do/where they look. If they all are pointing in the same direction, there is something scary over there.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Heather, and :welcome! Pleased you joined us! I'm in agreement with DonHess....they may have been scared by something but I would sure force them out into the run in order to scratch around, exercise, and get fresh air. I know hawks soaring overhead make mine head for cover! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

4. heather28

Oct 26, 2016
    North Carolina'
    Well I just discovered there is a cat lurking around the yard which will prob not be alive very much longer if my husband finds him yeah the only ines that r staying out r the roosters cause they r the protectors. Jopefully they should start laying n e time now

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Have the cockerels begun to mate the hens? In many cases, cockerels who are especially aggressive when mating will cause the hens to hide from them in the coop.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas

A lurking cat could sure explain why they aren't leaving the coop! Good luck taking care of the situation! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] hope everything will be resolved soon.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Two days ago, a vulture swooped very close to my chicken run. He was just riding the wind currents, and had no intentions of hurting them, but it sure freaked them out and they have stayed very close to the house the past two days. I would guess the cat is making them feel unsafe. Stressful things like that will also lead to hens not laying, so I would take care of mister meow soon. I hope you enjoy BYC!

10. heather28

Oct 26, 2016
    North Carolina'
    My first eggs from barred rocks[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by