flock troubles, need help to see if related or seperate issues and treat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pitmanchickens, Nov 13, 2016.

1. pitmanchickens

pitmanchickens New Egg

Nov 13, 2016
    Hi all,
    I've read the site since we got chickens in April of this year. I could use some advice now. I have a pullet (Americauna) about 4 months old now that started falling down the day before yesterday. She will stand kind of hunched, not holding her head up. She is trying to eat and drink, but will loose her balance when walking and just fall to one side. We got her from the local feed store, along with her sisters, 2 other Americaunas and 2 Barred Rocks. They are all acting normal. We also have 4 older birds that came from same feed store (2 Red Stars bought at laying age and 2 Black Austrolorps bought day old) and are eating, laying, acting fine and 4 BLRW's that my daughter received as a present from her Aunt. The Wyandottes are acting pretty normal except for the splash Roo that seems to have un-ending diareaha. His droppings are always runny and yellow, sometimes clearish, for about a few weeks now. I had a bird that was dropping very bloody stools as well. I had treated the entire flock with Corid after having our vet do a fecal test. The results were medium to high level of cocci. This was about 3 or 4 weeks agao. After the Corid treatment, all was fine, except for one bird that showed bloody stool again after 2 weeks or so. I caught her on the roost, so I know it was her, isolated and ran her through another round of Corid (as I didn't want to miss out on eggs again). She cleared up after a week alone and is back with flock. Now this morning, I found a spot of bloody runny stuff in their yard.
    So I don't know if all this is related or not. It seems like separate problems, but I would really appreciate some help finding answers as I'm certainly new to this and trying to diagnose on my own doesn't seem to be helping. I did think the runny poo from the Roo might be worms, but that didn't show up in the fecal test I had done. I figured if worms were the culprit, it would affect them all and show up in the test. So my action thus far has been to start the whole flock on Zyfend to treat for worms, which I started 3 days ago, and to isolate the Americauna in a seperate small shed I have so she can heal up as I'm hoping it's just a hurt leg. I have feed the flock with DE in the food pretty much since the beginning and use ACV in the water most times as I am striving to treat naturally first.
    Please let me know what y'all think. And a big THANK YOU!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't have much advice except that if your vet found a high level of coccidia in a stool sample but no worms, then they have no digestive tract worms. They are easier to identify than coccidia.

DE has no useful function in feed other than as a drying agent.

3. pitmanchickens

pitmanchickens New Egg

Nov 13, 2016
    thank you for response, still trying to come up with anwers, i'm investigating/treating for wry neck with my stumbling Americauna, following this regimen I found on here:
    Vit. E (400mg) snip the tip off a capsule and squeeze into mouth twice a day for 10 days, then every other day for another 5 days
    Selenium (25mcg) dissolve one 250mcg tablet in 2 ml water and give 0.2cc once a day for 10 days, then every other day for another 5 days
    Prednisone 1mg. dissolve one 10 mg tablet in 2 ml water and give 0.2cc twice a day for 5 days, then once a day for 5 days, then every other day for 5 days
    B-Complex purchased in liquid form from Walgreens; 0.5 cc twice a day for 5 days, then once a day for 5 days, then every other day for 5 days

vitamins can't hurt, and if it is that, than I hope I'll find success...

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I had a hen with wryneck that I treated with Vit. E and selenium. She survived a few more days but I ended up losing her.

If you believe it is contagious, the best bet would be to send the worst bird off to your state poultry lab for humane euthanasia and a complete necropsy and lab work. Then you know how to treat the rest of the flock if it is something treatable.
    What state are you in?

5. pitmanchickens

pitmanchickens New Egg

Nov 13, 2016
    Virginia. I really am not sure about it being contagious, though I do have her isolated just so I can provide supplemental heat and extra TLC, and just in case.... I'm going to see what happens after a few days on this treatment. Really hope it isn't contagious. She lived with 12 others, so far *knock on wood* none of them are falling over. Just the one with bloody stools and the roo with runny yellow stools, like he is having cecal excrement all the time. Thanks for the responses! Feeling a little in-over-my-head with these new developements....

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm sure I would feel the same way. The relentless bloody stools are troubling. I'm all for avoiding medications of any kind.
    Coccidia need moisture to continue their life cycle. Make sure their coop bedding is bone dry and free range if at all possible. Birds on wire and those foraging a large area dawn to dusk rarely have an issue with coccidiosis. They become resistant when getting small doses of the protozoa. When inundated, the birds succumb.
    Over the years, I had coccidiosis in chick once and in an adult flock once. Keeping feeders full and bedding dry has done wonders for my. I never use medicated feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by