Flock-wide illness? Unsure of what is wrong. 2 Dead *Update*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Breac, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Breac

Breac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I currently have a flock of 26 birds, two of which unexpectedly dropped dead in the past week. The first was an ameraucana hen, 1 year old. She had a slightly bluish comb, but I assumed it was due to being out in the snow and getting frostbite. The second one which died sometime last night was a Sicillian Buttercup hen who was 5 years old. She has no symptoms and seemed healthy when I checked on her last.

The problem may have started two weeks ago when I noticed one RIR hen, (4 years old) who had a runny nose and was slightly rattling. I isolated her, and she was treated for pneumonia by a vet. But then, one week into the RIR's treatment, a 5 year old Buttercup rooster had a lot of smelly nasal discharge and had lost a lot of weight. After a short course of antibiotics, he developed a thrush infection, which we are now treating.

However, since about a week ago, a noticed quite a few of the birds had runny noses, but seemed otherwise healthy. No one was gasping, sneezing excessively, or having odd poo.

I thought it may have been the new bedding we are using for the winter; marsh hay and pine shavings. We always use pine shavings, but we decided to use marsh hay for the winter to help them keep a bit warmer. I thought the chicken may be having some sort of allergic reaction, and I left it at that.

But today, as I mentioned, another chicken dropped dead suddenly, and now my 7 year old polish roo, 4 year old turken hen, and a bunch of others have a lot of smelly nasal discharge. Some chickens have clear, non-smelly discharge, but most of them have it in some form. Plus, my beloved turken hen is shivering and hunkering down. I'm afraid she'll drop dead next, and I'm beside myself with fear.

I need to find out what is going around, and how to stop it. If anyone has any idea of what sort of sickness my birds have, I'd be so grateful.

*Update*

It's Coryza. Please see my post on the second page for additional info.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Infectious bronchitis--- put all of them on antibiotics ASAP or you will loose more.

3. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    so sorry for your loss [​IMG] i dont have any idea...as i am a newbie still, but i know someone here will be able to help. hang in there! [​IMG]

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Breac wrote: ...5 year old Buttercup rooster had a lot of smelly nasal discharge and had lost a lot of weight. After a short course of antibiotics, he developed a thrush infection, which we are now treating.

Foul smelling nasal discharge is often a sign of Coryza: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206600.htm

Also
    use search function on BYC to check threads on Coryza.

Good luck!​

5. Breac

Breac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I checked on Coryza, but none of them have facial swelling. Is there any quick way I can diagnose my birds to see what is wrong? I'm trying to find a vet that'll come out to the coop to look at everyone, but it's an uphill battle finding a vet that treats chickens and takes housecalls...

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Try tetracycline or whatever antibiotic you get where you are - I had MAJOR problems with some of mine - used "Tetratime" ( here in France) and they all recovered - some of mine were very ill but thankfully the Vet here prescribed this drug ( a powder to be used in their water suppy) and they are all fine!

So sorry to hear this is happening to you, best of luck!

Suzie
    [​IMG]

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    p.s. Mine had a disgusting smelly discharge - BUT not any swelling......!!!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please look up Oxine, I think we should all have this in our medicine kit for just a time as this, hope this helps. Blessing!

9. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Use Tylan 50 1\\4cc for bantams 1\\2cc for large birds, this is a inject able but give it orally for 5-7 days, it will clear it up.

10. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    I had the same thing goin on on my yard but no nasal discharge or anything, just hunkering over then within 24hrs. or less would be dead. I wound up losin six chicken's. I started treatment with CORRID the day after my first roo died & that was last Sunday I think. All of my chickens are back to feelin better & yesterday was their first day off the CORRID. I gave them some crushed kitten food with plain yogurt yesterday & I am gonna worm them Monday. My buddy lost a couple too by the way. The only thing we can come up with is the wild bird's that have recently came around brought something with them from where ever they had been. I wish you the best of luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by