Flock with Marek's disease? Need advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haley S, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Haley S

Haley S New Egg

Feb 20, 2012
    About 5 months ago my hen went broody, so I thought it would be fun to stick a couple of eggs under her and see what happened. Both eggs hatched, but one died and the other one turned out to be a rooster. This new rooster just started crowing last week and since I live in a neighborhood, it just won't work out to keep him. I found a great new home for him, and was going to take him there today, but just last night I discovered that one of my hens has Marek's disease, and is barely able to walk a few steps.I separated her from the flock right away and have started treating her with a remedy I found on this sight, but now I am wondering if my rooster is now infected, though he shows no signs of illness, making it too late to give him away...
    Is it a for sure thing that the rest of my flock are now carriers? Please help!

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    they have all been exposed by now, it is a virus and has no cure. Many survive for some time and some will die from it. so sorry, I have had to deal with this as well, out of eight, three have passed at 2 1/2 years old. The other 5 seem fine. you can support them with vitamins, helps with neurolgical problems associated with it. good luck, lots of info here on the disease

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by