flock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by worms7, Nov 6, 2015.

1. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    I am thinking of 5 australorp &
    2 buff orpingtons for any fertile eggs I buy does this sound ok orpingtons are good brooders ?
    Cheers

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like a nice flock to me. My hatchery buff Orpingtons were reasonably broody ladies.

1 person likes this.
  3. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    Thanks

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    That would be a great combination of breeds. I've had both breeds and they are both wonderful. Both breeds are very cold hardy (Australorps are very heat hardy as well) and both are very calm and gentle breeds (great lap pets). Australorps are excellent layers that occasionally go broody and Orpingtons are good layers that go broody fairly frequently and make good mothers.

5. varidgerunner

varidgerunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    With the hatchery, feed store variety Buff Orpingtons I've had from about four different sources, I've never had but one successfully go broody and raise chicks. She was three when she decided to do it. I would rate them "sporadic brooders" at best. That is based on just my experiences and those others have shared with me. I know a lot of people swear that they are great broody chickens, and the ones they have might be, but from what I have seen, if you just got a couple of buff orpingtons, and didn't source them from a breeder that bred for that trait, you may or may not ever have one raise chicks.

6. Pipe Dreaming

Pipe Dreaming Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    Montrose, MI.
    I have both breeds, from hatcheries. They aren't even a year old yet, so I can't speak about their broodiness. I bought the buffs because of their friendly-people oriented nature. Out of my 3 buffs, one is like a lap dog -the others arent quite so eager to be loved on, but tolerate me.
    The Australorp are stunning with their glossy black feathers that have the green sheen. I have 2 of those. I think the buffs and the Australorps compliment each other very well. I like the contrasting colors. Here's some pics of a couple of my beauties :)
    Best of luck to you! (By the way, my cochins went broody a lot..if you're really wanting that quality) Silkies I think are the breed known best for going broody.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on the Cochins and Silkies as good brooders and mothers. Silkies are probably unmatched in the chicken world. Sometimes they will spend weeks just trying to incubate a golf ball. :eek:)

8. varidgerunner

Aug 16, 2013
    I don't know about silkies being unmatched. But they are pretty good broodies.

9. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Well, at least among the dozens of breeds that I've had, they have easily been the best brooders, having raised a number of broods for us. I would suppose that some of the game hens are probably just as good a brooders and mothers.

10. varidgerunner

Aug 16, 2013
    Factoring in things like clutch size, percentage raised to maturity, ability to teach chicks to effectively forage and go up to roost, not letting themselves or their chicks get bullied, nest cleanliness, and overall awareness, the silkie is at a disadvantage. It's size, nature, flight ability, and limited vision are handicaps. Sometimes they will actually exhibit so much broodiness that it is a detriment to their own health, as well, compared to breeds that brood strongly through the spring , summer and fall and then quit in the winter. If you are willing to give them some help, they are good chick raisers though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by