Flogging Rooster...

Mrs Hensley

Hatching
Oct 12, 2015
Hello from Mrs Hensley....KY. One would think I would know something about chickens living in Ky but not everyone here lives on a farm. I was raised on a small farm....no chickens, just a horse and a few turkeys. Btw you've not been flogged until flogged by a big male turkey. So my new young rooster, now of mating age, has decided he is tough and should flog the hand that feeds him. The first time I just stomped my feet and yelled at him. It worked for a couple days...but has started again and he's sneeky about it. Walks alongside me all nice then doubles back and takes a run at me. I've thought about the jeans and boots thing mentioned in an earlier post but turns out I'm "chicken". He's pretty good size and I may get excited and kick him or something. I want this to turn out well! Suggestions? Thanks from KY!

Freezer camp if it persists. Roosters are for breeding and keeping a flock in order while maintaining some degree of protection for the hens. Trying to dominate the humans of the farm isn't acceptable behavior and takes away one of his purposes (breeding - don't perpetuate his temperament by breeding it into future generations). I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for a short while since he's just now coming of age and testing the waters, but if this becomes the norm - I'd not allow it to continue.

On being nervous means giving him a swift boot when he comes at you - I'd give him a swift boot...

You can't let the rooster be boss. That's your position in
the flock.

Like Owen said, a swift boot may work. But mean roos
make a tasty stew. Work with him a bit, see if he'll calm
down. If not...he's gotta go. A bad roo will get you sooner
or later.

Spook

Fighting back is what he wants you to do. Gotta remember where the term bird brain comes from. I agree, he is testing the waters and trying to dominate you as he would a hen. Not acceptable. Lots of different ways to deal with Mr. Attitude. Here's what I do personally. I have four roosters right now. Two of them, junior roosters in the flock, like to test the waters with me usually when dealing with attitudes is the last thing I want to do. The biggest is a one year old Lavender Orpington rooster. He is a gorgeous bird but he thinks he is in charge of the treat lady and if I get too close to him he flares those hackle feathers and comes charging at me. I get out of his way and then look out. I will not tolerate attitude from my roosters. If I cannot stop it, they are out the front gate at warp speed. Any rooster that does that finds that he has a 5'2" red head (well it used to be red before age caught up with me) unleashing a holy you know what on him. The rest of the flock clears out and I chase the transgressor until he is subdued under my arm where he gets carried around for 10 minutes in what I call 'the rooster walk of shame'. When I get tired of hauling the rooster's sorry butt around, he gets put on the ground in a mating position with his breast pressed against the ground. If he protests, he gets carried around for another 5 minutes. I have noted that it usually takes only an additional 5 minutes before the rooster is willing to humble himself and submit. When he does, he goes free.

This has worked for me with my roos. Please try not to be afraid of your boy. They can sense that and then you are theirs. If he is a young bird, you have a chance to take the attitude out of him. Do not try to make him a pet. Do not cuddle him or expect him to be anything other than as stated, Breeder and flock protector. He has to get out of your way if you walk towards him. If he doesn't he need to learn to.

There are a lot of ways to break a rooster of having too much attitude. This is just what has worked for me. Do a search and read what has worked for others.

If you cannot mold him into a proper rooster, remember. There are lots of nice roosters out there looking for good homes.

Good luck with your problem boy.

NEVER a good REASON to keep a BAD ROOSTER. Folks say meanest roosters make the best soup. There is a huge glut of roosters on the market - some very deserving of good homes. Check out the BYC Buy,sell, trade forum - you can usually find show/breeding quality roosters with good temperaments for very good prices. So many areas do not allow roos so there is backup of ones available.

If there are children in your household that makes it URGENT to deal with this rooster.

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. A plant sprayer or water pistol is my defence of choice, although i use it even before the problems begin. Just a couple of squirts and you are sorted, as he will run for the hills if he sees you with it in your hands. Lots of different ideas here, and i am sure if you use the search box - "dealing with roos" you will find even more!

All the best
CT

Fighting back is what he wants  you to do. Gotta remember where the term bird brain comes from. I agree, he is testing the waters and trying to dominate you as he would a hen. Not acceptable. Lots of different ways to deal with Mr. Attitude. Here's what I do personally. I have four roosters right now. Two of them, junior roosters in the flock, like to test the waters with me usually when dealing with attitudes is the last thing I want to do. The biggest is a one year old Lavender Orpington rooster. He is a gorgeous bird but he thinks he is in charge of the treat lady and if I get too close to him he flares those hackle feathers and comes charging at me. I get out of his way and then look out. I will not tolerate attitude from my roosters. If I cannot stop it, they are out the front gate at warp speed. Any rooster that does that finds that he has a 5'2" red head (well it used to be red before age caught up with me) unleashing a holy you know what on him. The rest of the flock clears out and I chase the transgressor until he is subdued under my arm where he gets carried around for 10 minutes in what I call 'the rooster walk of shame'. When I get tired of hauling the rooster's sorry butt around, he gets put on the ground in a mating position with his breast pressed against the ground. If he protests, he gets carried around for another 5 minutes. I have noted that it usually takes only an additional 5 minutes before the rooster is willing to humble himself and submit. When he does, he goes free. 

This has worked for me with my roos. Please try not to be afraid of your boy. They can sense that and then you are theirs. If he is a young bird, you have a chance to take the attitude out of him. Do not try to make him a pet. Do not cuddle him or expect him to be anything other than as stated, Breeder and flock protector. He has to get out of your way if you walk towards him. If he doesn't he need to learn to. 

There are a lot of ways to break a rooster of having too much attitude. This is just what has worked for me. Do a search and read what has worked for others.

If you cannot mold him into a proper rooster, remember. There are lots of nice roosters out there looking for good homes. 

Good luck with your problem boy.

Back
Top Bottom