1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Flogging Rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Donna Groover, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Donna Groover

Donna Groover New Egg

Oct 10, 2016
    Just had my rooster try to flog me again. He was successful the first time. I was prepared this time with a long handled net. I put him in the chicken tractor.
    Should I leave him there? Should I get rid of him?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Honestly, ditch him. Put up an ad on Craigslist and let him be someone's dinner. There are supposed ways to "cure" a mean cockerel but none of them are really worth the time and energy... keeping chickens is no fun when you have to look over your shoulder all day in case he decides to take up old habits. Especially since there are thousands of good, sweet cockerels out there looking for homes.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Whilst rehabilitation is not impossible, IMO its not worth the effort. I agree with QMisha, but i would also advise that you read up on managing roosters / cockerels so that you understand their behaviour and how you can ensure that you manage them effectively, before getting another.

Best wishes
    CT

4. AriadneCastro

AriadneCastro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Donna, and :welcome! Pleased to have with us! I'm with the folks who say life is too short to have an aggressive rooster. There are plenty of nice ones who need to be rehomed so I wouldn't keep the one you have. Good luck to you!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    NEVER a good reason to keep a BAD roo. I've heard the meanest roos make the best soup.

1 person likes this.
  7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! You have gotten great advice and links. If you just want a rooster, and do not care what breed it is, ditch that rooster, and get a nice one. I hope you enjoy BYC!

8. MotherofManyMor

MotherofManyMor Just Hatched

Oct 10, 2016
    Hi - I'm new to all this too and came to "introduce" myself when I saw your thread. Yesterday my new to me rooster was trying to court me, today he flogged me... He is a big beautiful boy and I really want to keep him so it saddens me to see most folks say get rid of him. I'll check out the link and maybe at least attempt to work with him before writing him off.

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining. It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom. If you are willing to put the time and effort in, it can be done. I find managing a rooster similar to training a dog - let a dog think it's dominant then it's difficult- ditto with a rooster. Its more about the human, than the bird.

Good luck

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  10. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    In my experience, you can teach an aggressive rooster to stand down to you but he will still be an aggressive rooster and be a threat to anyone else that is around. I'd make soup out of him and use it as a trainer in processing chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by