Flogging TINY Banty Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by easttxchick, Jul 9, 2010.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    This may seem like a foolish question , but this is my first go around with banties.
    I have 2(so far) of my teeny banty roosters that have decided that flogging AND biting me are fun things to do. It's not that it hurts or anything, I just don't want them thinking this is OK.
    I have dealt with a standard rooster flogging situation, but never a banty. I don't want to hurt these little guys at all so what method should I try to put the kaibosh on this?
    I DO pick them up and carry them around all of the time so this isn't working on them.
    I would never cull them.
    Thanks for the input.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

OMG. The idea that my two Sebright roos might try to flog me..... I never even thought of it. *stifling a snicker*

No, you don't want that. It sets a bad example. Jeez, I'd be afraid of hurting 'em, too. I think I'll subscribe to this topic so I can learn something I MAY have to utilize. Thanks!

3. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    gryeyes, It actually is pretty funny-they don't have spurs yet(might not be so funny when they do).
    2 of them jumped my ankles this morning(literally my ankles) and I hate to say I really kinda ignored them(bad idea, I think).
    What was REALLY funny was another one of my teeny boys jumped on them for jumping on me-he is VERY much my baby and was trying to protect his mom(or most likely trying to protect the walking treat machine).

4. Penturner

Penturner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    I had a Serama do this recently. Lots of reasons for it including he was alone and basically stress. but he started deciding that biting was a way to get even. Let's just say at $75 a bird culling is no option. I simply dealt with him in his language. watch how two roosters settle things. I actually set down in his run and took him on. I just used my hand and pushed him around. just a gentle push to the side. He actually reacted and took my hand on. I just kept reaching in and giving him little shoves and then dodging his counters. sort of like a gentle slap fight. He was pretty determined but after a few minutes he turned his back to me. It is very important you stop if they turn away. that is their way to signal surrender. He has never bitten or even pecked anyone since. Aggression in a Serama is rare since they are bred for temperament. But this poor guy was under a lot of stress. We now have a couple of girls keeping him company and he is a pretty sweet fellow now.

5. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Thanks, Penturner-that sounds like a pretty harmless way of working on them.
    I'm hoping it isn't stress-they have hens and are not alone-I have a small flock of them.
    I sat down in my chicken watching chair and one of my banty boys jumped up on the back of the chair-I didn't really think anything about it until he tried to bite and flog me in the back of the head! Needless to say, I was pretty shocked that he did that so now, it isn't too funny anymore and I have to take control of this situation in a manner that they understand, but don't get hurt.
    I hear ya on the no playing whack a mole with the expensive birds! [​IMG]

6. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    how about trying a water gun, when they jump you squirt them:ya

7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Sharron, I did that with one of my standard boys that flogged and it just made him worse. I do, however use that technique when my hens are picking on someone-works great for that! [​IMG]

8. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Quote:I loved the "Walking Treat Machine" .....that's funny!!!! I have a coop with 7 Silkies in it. One of them is the most beautiful blue roo I've ever seen. Needless to say I don't want to get rid of him even though I have a stealth coop in a residential neighborhood. Recently he has begun to be extra protective of his 6 hens. In fact, he protects them from me with ever-increasing intensity. He pecks pretty hard, but the winner is the peck-and-twist maneuver on my arm. Now that has got to stop. Soooo, every morning when I open the coop to bring treats and change water etc. the first thing I do is pick up Thunder, put him under my left arm comfortably, steering clear of the bitey end and carry him until I've finished with all I can do one handed. Then I put the treat bowl down, let the hens begin the feeding frenzy (while he watches), and release him to join them. Works like a charm. Once in my arms he doesn't struggle or bite at all. It's like he just gives up and enjoys the ride!

9. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    try an air horn just scare the living daylight out of them when they try to flog you lol. it does not physically hurt them bu ti think they are trying to tell you who the head of the pecking order and they dont think it you lol

10. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    We just put an OEGB roo down a while back.We have a 2yr old grandson living with us so..Sad thing was he was one of the newbie birds I hatched Xmas and We had picked him to be babie's first pet roo.He was good first few month's.I dunno what happen but he got real ugly after a couple month's in coop.He went up my back to my head flogged my leg's numerous time's.But when he got baby twice in head/face area DH put him down.He had been penned and everything and he still went back to his terror run of attacking.I had a couple bantam roo's in past that were flogger's and had them for 6 years.But when one start's going for face and eye's especialy children he gotta GO!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by