Flood survivor- no idea what breed, sex, or age

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by theuglychick, Aug 22, 2016.

1. theuglychick

theuglychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
    This black beauty was brought to my mother in laws and she was told it was a flood survivor. I cannot keep him or her but would like to find him or her a home. Thanks to the floods, I am now battling coccidia and what appears to be mareks in one of my unvaccinated birds and I don't want to expose the poor soul to that after surviving the floods here. I just don't know how to describe him or her. S/he's very big compared to my Cream Legbars and I THINK I'm seeing hackle and saddle feathers, so I'm THINKING young black cockeral. But no crowing and no eggs over the past 12 hours so I really don't know. I am not familiar with large black breeds. Any ideas on breed, sex, or age? Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

What an amazing, brave bird! [​IMG] Cockerel for sure, and I'm thinking most likely Black Australorp. How large is he?

~Alex

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  3. theuglychick

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana

He's truly magnificent! He's the size of a large standard, maybe comparable to an adult leghorn or Rhode Island. I wish I could keep him but I'm already 2 roosters deep in a small flock of 16 and am operating at maximum capacity and nursing my own birds back to health. I hope I can find him a wonderful home :/

4. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    Quote: 2x

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Black Australorps. Almost looks like my black roo when he was a little younger.

6. mbphotos09

mbphotos09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    Watching Chicken TV...

x3 :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Black Australorp - hope he gets a great home.

8. theuglychick

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all of yalls help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by