Flooded Nest!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jak2002003, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    My hens eggs were due to hatch in just under a week, but today we had a huge storm and the downpour of rain. The hens nest got flooded, but she was still sitting on the eggs.

I took all the eggs out of the nest and dried them, but they feel cold now. Is there any chance they will still hatch?

They were only in the water for about 5 minutes and the flood happened really quickly.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Put them back under the hen and keep your fingers crossed. I've had an egg get wet when it rained once and the broody accidentally rolled it out from under her. It was in the pouring rain for a few minutes! It hatched out fine 2 days later. As long as your eggs were not completely submerged I think they have a chance still. [​IMG]

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I have put them back under her, and put her nest in a basket raised up now. I really should have moved the nest to a better place to start with, but that area is under cover and never been flooded before. It was such a big storm.

Now I will have to just wait and see what happens! If they don't hatch will the hen leave the eggs after the time has run out, or will I have to take them away from her myself?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by