Flooded run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by theacw, Mar 11, 2012.

1. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    So now all the snow is melting and I have over 6 inches of water in the whole run! And I have shoveled every time it snowed.... Its finally soooo nice out where the chickens can hang outside but now they cant with the water, they wont even take one step out because they hate the water. Any suggestions? I dont know if I want to add sand because I like having a dirt run but how long is it going to take for it to dry up when its still not very warm?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    Depending on the size of run, what i like to do is to put one bale of hay per 15 square feet of run and just let them scratch in the hay (spreading it out at the same time) and then they turn it over, and play in it afterwards. This hay has several advantages... 1- Soaks up water, and does not muddy
    2- Allows many types of bugs and worms to live in the hay, and the chickens love to scratch through the hay and eat them...

Hope this Helps...

4. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    Thanks for the help. Im not sure what to do now because its already flooded so I cant do any preventative measures and I can get the water out with a lot of work but it keeps coming back! There is still A LOT of snow to melt and I know its going to drain into the run again. Any suggestions how to make it drain out?

Poor babies want to enjoy the nice weather for their first time and they cant :(

5. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    possibly dig a ditch? plus then they would have water! =] hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by