Flooded the grow out run

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wolftracks, Jul 6, 2011.

1. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Was supposed to be wrapping and sending out an egg shipment today, but no. My luck doesn't work that way.

Instead I went to turn the hose on and no water came out....?????? Messed around with the fawcet and still nothing. Then I looked towards the birds thinking "I hope water inside works!" Everyone was making the noise they always do when they think treats are on the way. Glanced at the growout run and noticed the babies were pushing against the wire. I was thinking they must be in there dying of thurst and then I noticed all the water. A pipe broke and was flooding the yard. The grow out pen is the closest to the house and the water was shooting across the yard right into the pen. I ran over and opened the door so they could get out into the yard, but I lost a few that some I had just put out 2 days ago. I had to go in and take birds off of the roost, who were watching the water flow and squacking. There wasn't a peep from any of them until I went outside. I don't know how long the water was like that. Water inside was working, but man was it gushing out there.

While I waited for the water company to come and do something, I grabbed buckets and carried water around to make sure the other runs were wet, since it was sooooo hot. I kept tripping over babies and trying not to step on them. Everywhere I went they went, making a ton of noise and complaining and telling me about what was happening. At one point I had a chicken on my back, one on my arm, one on my shoulder with it's face buried under my hair, and a few that tried to catch a ride on the top of my feet.

At least since they were all soaked they cooled off from the heat, but I lost some. Then I ended up arguing with the guy that showed up when I found out they're doing something down the street and there are broken pipes in 3 other yards. I have no idea what they did, but this is rediculous. They're telling us, because it happened in the yards it's because we need to replace our pipes. If my landlords have to replace pipes, they'll just get rid of the house. They don't want to put anything in to it and I'll be out of a place to live.

My life gets better and better.

My poor babies are just gone!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Good grief!!!!! I am so sorry you lost those babies. How sad and frustrating that is. Your landlord sounds like a jerk.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Can't even get hold of them. Not for like a year.

Anyway an inspector is coming out tomorrow. They're going to check all three yards. They're saying that nothing they were doing would cause this and that it had nothing to do with the lines, but 3 houses???

4. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

When you say get rid of the house im not sure if you mean sell it or destroy it. But if it is destroy maybe you could by the land and house off him? [​IMG]

5. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Since you've not been able to contact the owner for a year, do they really still own the property, and how do they take care of normal rental upkeep? That sounds very odd unless they have a property mngmt company that takes care of the rental for them.

Here, water lines from the water company line on are the responsibility of the owner. If the lines are old it could explain the breaks on several properties. But I can't imagine a rental owner not investing even a couple of thousand of dollars to replace the lines when their loss of income over a few years would cost them much more. Family just recently spent about $1K to replace some water lines on one of the rentals by doing most of the labor. Maybe something can be worked out with the landlord to keep the costs down for a rent break.

That's just awful about your losses today. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    They aren't going to sell. It's a tax break. Plus they can sell it in another year or so.

We were buying another house from the owner. My husband worked his butt off working overtime to pay her a 14k downpayment. Wouldn't listen when I told him what to have her sign. We moved there on a Christmas Eve and April first it was sold at auction. She skipped with everything.

This house they bought at auction for 25k. Cheap for even this area. Their taxes are up to date. I check records.

They don't come around and I deposit into there account. Same way I used to collect my rents. Only I checked my property. Mine was nicer and in a better area too, so there ya go. LOL

Water has already dried up. Line is tapped off for now and babies in the coop.

Need to figure out how to get eggs to hatch more of what I lost.

What a pain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by