Flooding!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by josie705, Feb 21, 2017.

1. josie705

josie705 Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017
    Any ideas on where to put my chickens? I would just move them to a dry area, but those other areas belong to another rooster on the property who might kill my lovely rooster. Flooding happened last night and is continuing to rise. Their coop has a raised floor but there is still 8 inches or so of water in the coop. Should I just leave them there? They do have food and, obviously, plenty of water. Should I catch the other rooster and try to find a cage for him? That said, his hens are also really aggressive and have attacked this roosters hens several times...
    This is just so sudden and has never happened before so we don't have a plan ready!!
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the mess!! The water is causing things to float out of place!

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    I would not want to leave them there seeing as chicken feet can be quite sensitive.
    I would put the hens with a different rooster and separate the hens

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Do you have a clean shed or even a garage they could go in for a little while? Or if you have some chicken wire, hardware cloth or any other wire fencing around (and can find a dry spot) maybe you can make a temporary pen somewhere? It's not the most secure option but better than leaving them in the water I think (especially if it keeps rising), and hopefully it'll only be for a short while. If you really have to, cage up your rooster at least - he won't be happy but he'll be safer that way.

4. josie705

josie705 Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017
    Sorry for not responding. We ended up putting them in our empty horse trailer! They are all safe! That flooding was pretty scary and it came on fast!!

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Trailer is a fantastic idea, since it's already set up for animals (unlike a garage) and can be moved if you really have to get out of there! Glad they're all safe and sound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by