Floods

elizabethbinary

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
So it's apparently even been on the news in internationally, but if you haven't heard we're having some major major flooding going on down here. The rain hasn't stopped for three weeks and a lot of roads just literally floated away down river. Major roads, even.

I'm on high ground so I'm not flooded by I can see it's beating up my hens a bit. The rain is still constant and even though there's shelter, I am seeing wet soggy sad looking things hopping up to my door to come in. I let them in and dry them off with a towel.
roll.png
Spoiled things.

Anyway I think I need a raised shelter of some kind. That seems incredibly pricey and difficult to make as well as bulky. I have some tarps I can put up in a full corner of the side yard maybe so they'd get a large dry area... but the water may still come up from the ground.

They're not sick, but they're not particularly thrilled either. Is there anything I can do to make it less annoying for them to be out there?

Do you have any wooden pallets you can put down? They could stand on those. If the wind's not too bad, you could stretch the tarp between trees or building to make a bit of a shelter.

Okay I got the pallets and some tarp and I'm setting up an area for them!

It's gotten scarier. The whole backyard is turning into mud. Every scratch the chicken makes just brings up inches of soil with the grass, roots and all. I'm going to have some fabulous upturned fresh soil after all this, but omg, it's scary!!!

Last night the rain was so hard it sounded like I was swimming, the water coming down was so thick and SO loud. Not even sheets. BLANKETS of rain. No space between the droplets.

I'm bringing in the babies.

Quote:
Is this La Nina? I don't think it is - but it might be - some huuuuuge floods going on. The road at the end of my street is completely gone. Like, the bituman itself is gone and all that's left is rough dirt where a surface WAS.

It hasn't even let up long enough for me to build the shelter. I'm trying but it's not easy.
sad.png

Thank you for the well wishes!

Last edited:
Quote:
Is this La Nina? I don't think it is - but it might be - some huuuuuge floods going on. The road at the end of my street is completely gone. Like, the bituman itself is gone and all that's left is rough dirt where a surface WAS.

It hasn't even let up long enough for me to build the shelter. I'm trying but it's not easy.
sad.png

We in the states are getting the newsfeeds constantly... Last week the media stated that your flooded areas were the size of France and Germany... COMBINED!! As for the birds, if they have never been this wet before then they probably won't die, just mighty upset... Give them places (if you can) to remain dry, but MORE IMPORTANTLY pay attention to yourself(s) as water is unforgiving if it is just slightly above your nose.... Good luck. Really!

Quote:

sad.png

We in the states are getting the newsfeeds constantly... Last week the media stated that your flooded areas were the size of France and Germany... COMBINED!! As for the birds, if they have never been this wet before then they probably won't die, just mighty upset... Give them places (if you can) to remain dry, but MORE IMPORTANTLY pay attention to yourself(s) as water is unforgiving if it is just slightly above your nose.... Good luck. Really!

Thank you everyone!!

France and Germany COMBINED!? Well thank Christ France is small, then! My birds are confused and clinging to the little dry spots they can while I try to run out each clear spot to make the new shelter. They're so soggy!! I feel awful. They're not wet wet but they look sad and ooky. I've heard one or two make a sneeze but nothing worrisome yet.

I should be okay, I'm on high ground... but still...
fl.gif

I live right on the Pacific Northwest Coast of USofA. So, I know what rain is... Ouch! I hope everyone is okay. Given where I live; it was a must to build our coop up off the ground. Even though our "soil" is 90% sand and sandstone, we still get standing water conditions 3+ months out of our 9 month rainy season.

Back
Top Bottom