1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Floor Covering?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenkate, Mar 5, 2009.

1. chickenkate

chickenkate Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    East coast
    I know someone who uses hay as her floor covering... but most people seem to recommend wood shavings or cat litter; is there a difference?[​IMG]

2. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I use pine shavings cus they are cheap, and easy to find in stores. Hay is a little harder for me to find around here, and hay kind of mattes together.

3. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

I definitely wouldn't use cat litter. It's clay and the chickens may peck at it. If they groom themselves, or clean between their feet, they'll ingest it.
    Not good. [​IMG]

I use pine shavings and am very happy with the stuff.

Carla

4. meezermom

meezermom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    Roy WA
    I've found hay more expensive & harder to clean & handle.
    I use pine shavings & the deep litter method. Works great & composts REALLY well !!!
    Hay will mold also, and that may kill or sicken your hens.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The usual alternative to shavings is STRAW rather than hay. (I know a few people use hay, of course, but straw is far more common). It is cheaper and less apt to get eaten and cause impacted crop problems. It is also slightly absorbant, as opposed to hay being nearly nonabsorbant. Supposedly chopped straw works better and has less of the cleaning awkwardness of regular straw, I have no personal experience with it though.

I would really not use cat litter. Unless you mean the wood-pellet type 'alternative' cat litter. In which case I still would not use it because, man oh man, SPENDY [​IMG]

Shavings in big bales from the feed store (will still fit easily into any car) are usually cheaper than little plastic bags of shavings from the pet store, btw.

Have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by