Floor design and installation for Lowes Playhouse

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rikkitikki58, Mar 2, 2008.

1. rikkitikki58

rikkitikki58 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2008
    West Tennessee
    I bought the playhouse (the blue wooden one) and need some ideas from the others that bought it on how to install a floor and what did you use?

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I bought (3) 2x4s and a sheet of plywood. Lowe's cut the plywood in half for me. I cut the 2x4s to the proper length myself. I used the 2x4s to frame up a 4'x4' floor with two center cross braces. I laid the first 4'x4' piece of plywood on the frame and screwed it down. I put the other piece of plywood with the grain perpindicular (sp?) to the first and screwed it down. I put the entire thing up on concrete blocks to keep the wood off the ground. Presto! A very sturdy floor.

The playhouse was pretty easy to just assemble on top of the pre-positioned floor. Assemble as it says. Just screw the walls to the floor as well.

At some point before the chicks show up I'll go out and cover the floor with some scrap linoleum.

Congrats on your playhouse. I want to go back and get a second one now. [​IMG]

CG

3. carugoman

carugoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    NW FL Crestview
    On average,the face veneer of plywood,used for projects involving walls and floors,or exterior but protected and covered applications,is 3/64-3/32's in thickness. The veneer is then bonded with thermoplastic adhesive,to a wood ply,where the respective grains are perpendicular to each other. This makes for an extremely stable wood product,less likely to twist or cup,under normal application conditions. It is therefore unnecessary to orient sheets of plywood with the top veneer grain perpendicular to each sheet.
    I put the other piece of plywood with the grain perpindicular (sp?) to the first and screwed it down.​

4. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    How much is the playhouse? They don't seem to be selling it around here. Thanks.

P.S. Any pictures???

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    True, Carugoman. My rotating the grain simply continues the pattern inherent in the playwood. Can't hurt and might help.

Good luck, rikkitikki!

CG

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I haven't made my floor yet, but mine was shipped 3000 miles so I was just going to strap a sheet of plywood to the 4x4 pallet and toss it on some blocks. It's still in it's painting stages and has one gallon of primer lathered on, along with almost another full gallon of red paint. White trim is next weekend! I plan on just screwing the building to the floor with some L brackets. I assembled mine for purposes of easy disassembly in case I need to move it in the near future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by