Floor Material for a Run in the Pacific Northwest

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WhereTheLightIs, Jul 16, 2019.

1. WhereTheLightIs

WhereTheLightIs Hatching

Jul 16, 2019
    Portland, OR
    Hey all. I purchased my first chicks this weekend, and I'm very excited to try my hand at raising my own chickens. I grew up in the city, so this is all new to me.

I live in Portland, OR, so it rains a good amount with some snow in the winter. The coop/run will be placed on compacted dirt. I've researched quite a bit so far, but I wanted to directly ask for some suggestions for a material to lay down in the run.

Thanks.

2. MRichmond

MRichmond Chirping

Mar 12, 2019
    Western Pennsylvania
    I just posted a similar question, but my run is currently gravel...watching your thread, too. My chicks are 6 weeks old. Good luck with yours!

3. culturalinfidel

culturalinfidel Chirping

Jan 4, 2017
    Seattle
    I'm just north of Seattle. We use wood chips from Chip Drop and have never had a problem. We have a layer that is probably 4-6"+ deep.

4. tkrhubbard

tkrhubbard Hatching

I'm also in Seattle...no birds yet, but ready for the ladies....Anyone in the Pacific NW use sand in their coop/run?

5. culturalinfidel

culturalinfidel Chirping

Jan 4, 2017
    Seattle
    I would think with our wet weather that sand would clump too easily. Unless you have everything covered, it will end up a muddy mess. IMO.

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    When you say "compacted dirt" does that mean you have drainage issues during rain or snow build up? Regardless of run litter choice, if you don't have good drainage you won't get optimal results, so I'd look into improving drainage first. Or consider roofing the run and use gutters to move water away.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: