Floor material?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cresty, Feb 3, 2007.

1. cresty

cresty Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    What is used for the construction for floors? I'm sure most people probably have a wood floor but I wondered if any other material was used for easy cleaning.

Cresty

2. urbanagrarian

urbanagrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
  3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a wood floor with linolium over it. Super easy to clean, durable and cheap!

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Joan,

Check out Garm's notes on this page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/coops/garm.html

He
    said, "the wire floor was difficult for us to walk on, and uncomfortable for the hens. A dirt floor is easy to rake out and they "hang out" inside the coop more often."

5. cresty

Jan 26, 2007
    Does anyone see a problem with concrete and then layered with pine shavings?

Cresty

6. LICHICK

LICHICK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2007
    New York
    I also have a wood floor with linolium nailed to the floor and then use shavings. Very easy cleaning

7. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    I have a wooden floor with pond liner over the bottom of it - it makes it much easier to clean.

If you were on a bigger scale then you could do it like pigs - concrete floor with woodshavings / hay as bedding and then clean out with shovel / brush.

8. cresty

Jan 26, 2007
    I like the idea of the pond liner. Thanks.

Cresty

9. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I placed rubber floor mats over the wood then wood shavings on top of the floor mats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by