Floor of Enclosure Advice..

Bananarose24

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Baltimore, MD
So, we are still working on securing the floor of our Ducks new enclosure..
They are surrounded on all 4 sides, and top with galvanized steel hardware cloth so no worries there..

But, the ground is too hard to dig.. and full of roots and ivy.
My hubby and I are thinking about putting large rocks or pavers around the perimeter of the enclosure.. They would be nice and heavy and hard to move..
We're hoping this would prevent any animals (foxes/racoons) from digging into the pen.

Also, thinking about putting the steel hardware cloth on top of the ground inside the pen with Astro Turf on top of it.. This way the entire bottom of the pen is secured.
It will probably start getting muddy out there in the near future.. and I'm thinking the Astro Turf providing a fake grass environment would be a good idea..

Any thoughts? Anyone tried these methods for protection.. and mud prevention??
Anyone tried the Astro Turf.....

I would put hardware cloth outside around and place pavers onto of it. Two rows of paver will probably be enough. Add some electric tape and a small animal charger around the fenced in area and you are safe enough. After that I would not worry about the inside of the run.

Oh, yes I forgot about the Electric tape.. we will be doing that soon. We just cant quite afford it yet.. but soon!
And thats a good idea to put the cloth under the pavers..

Back
Top Bottom