1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

floor or no floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ornurse25, May 7, 2016.

1. ornurse25

ornurse25 New Egg

May 2, 2016
    HI, I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I'm sorry if this has been discussed already! We are in the process of building our coop and are debating whether or not to put a floor in. I was wondering people's thoughts on this. Thanks!

2. beb444

beb444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA
    I would definitely put a floor in. It helps keep in warmth, keep it cleaner, keep critters out, if it rains the ground won't be wet, etc. You can easily just sweep their bedding out if you have a floor in, and it will help you significantly. Hope that helps:) Have fun with the chickens!!

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! A dirt floor is fine. Walk-in shed type coops are easiest to manage, rather than those little raised dog-house type creations. You need a dig- proof foundation, and good drainage when it rains, and then deep bedding in the coop. My coop is on an old workshop foundation, so safe from digging predators, and the old broken conrete floor is fine too. Mary

4. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    if you can make your coop floor removable :)

it's easy to clean . i coated all the wood with 3 coats of waterproofing finish.. or you can get those galvanized steel sheets for the floor so it's easy to clean

they have a sheet of 4'x3' for $16 ? at home depot

but use some type of bedding will also make it a lot easier to clean as well

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by