Floor Plug???? Yea' or Nea'

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tiffanyg2, Jun 22, 2011.

1. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think about the idea of cutting out a plug in the floor of the coop. That way if I want to remove all the sand out of the coop if it should need to be changed out I could sweep all the sand to the plug open it up and whoosh it all falls out of the coop onto the ground?? I would cut a square shape out of the plywood floor and then latch it back on, also I would have to cut a square out of the vinyl linoleum floor from the inside. I figured it would be easier to design this now verses later when everyone is living inside! LOL Let me know your thoughts, pro's and con's Pretty Please! [​IMG]

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Every time I clean the coop, we bring in a hose and wash the walls and screens and scrub the floor.
    It would be so much easier if we put in a shower drain. I have to get the wet vac and suck it all out.

I was thinking we could put in a dry well. the coop is off the ground with buried hardware cloth all around it. if we made a bend in the pipe and had the dry well so we could get to it, and screwed down one of those shower grates, it should work. I could put it recessed and put a plug in that to keep out drafts and insects.

How big do you plan on making your coop? I shovel it out into trash cans. but we are 12x8 and it is nice and roomy. if you are going to have to bend in and be uncomfortable, then I can see a poop-y door.

I will glad to hear the comments on our ideas. Anything that makes that job easier, I am all for.

3. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thinking of this same type of idea - I think it is a good idea.
    I was thinking of putting hardware cloth in the hole so nothing can come up through it - I like the idea of a plug better.

I would definitely hollow out the ground below a bit and add stone for drainage, then you can hose away remaining "particles".

Good luck!

4. tiffanyg2

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:Well the Coop is basically 5.5 X 3 I'm only keeping 4 girls once I rehome the boys! So it's not a huge coop and the girls will be free ranging through the day. I planned on using sand in the coop~ you know kinda like the cat litter method and scoop out any unwanted clumpy poo's. Now I figure from time to time I may want to remove all the sand and replace it so I invisioned me trying to get grains of sand out of the coop [​IMG] LOL So I figured a plug would work awesome. I really don't want to resort to spraying the inside of the coop to much with water because I don't want to cause any damage to the water getting into the crevices. I am painted everything with a semi-gloss for easy cleaning and I will also have the vinyl flooring. I figured a small 5"x5" cutout would work just fine. and I can put some weather stripping around it and a latch to easily attach it! Here's a picture of the openings I have I made access doors on either side of the coop and it will be on a 2 1/2 ft base.
    Here's the main doors...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This screen door opens completely up for another access in!
    [​IMG]

See I would think it was make it easier to clean with a plug! and from what your saying it might be easier for you to~ Can you add it to your existing coop?

5. Krunchy

Krunchy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Antelope
    A drain would make it a lot easier I'd suggest this type
    [​IMG]

Then you could use a drainage piping and use direct where the water goes if you hose it out or just stick a bucket under it.

If your worried about something coming through the drain you could put a screw on cap/plug on the end or a 45 degree elbow and a cap/plug..

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  6. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    You could also just make an access door along the side that goes all the way to the floor. You could then just pull everyting into a wheel barrow (you could even put some screening over the wheel barrow to sift out the waste and re-use the sand. I use a long handled dust pan to pull everything over te edge. It reaches all the way across the coop floor and is clean in a matter of minutes. I built mine so I can access it without going directly into the coop. I use shavings right now, but plan on sand here soon
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  7. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Quote:yeah, that is what I was thinking.
    I think we could use an elbow and have the dry well outside... or a flexible pipe to direct water/fertilize the corn or something, and only take the plug out of the outside end when washing.
    yeah, that'd work and make my life so much easier.

I think the sand /cat litter method idea is good, but the pine shavings may be easier for you. They smell nice, you can put a poop board under the roost and just pull it out every day.
    We have 24 chickens (I didn't really expect them all to live so I over ordered) and that's a lot of chicken dust. the screens get clogged if they don't get washed. with just a few chickens, I think your idea will work fine. I like the wheel barrow idea too. we are too big for that... but, I am ashamed to say that this morning I woke up thinking about incubators and another coop. so the next one may be high enough for that [​IMG]

8. tiffanyg2

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:Yeah I like the idea but its to late for me to make a flush wall! So I will definately make an opening~ So now I just need to determine whether I will use a drain style (Thanks Krunchy) or just make a cutout with a latch! SO many decisions but so much fun designing everything! Thanks for all the helpful tips [​IMG]

3 goodeggs~ that's alot of chickens! I will definetly do the sand, atleast I am going to try that first! I hear so many good things about it~ so I must experiment and see! But they are so addicting so I can see why you are thinking about another coop and an incubator [​IMG]

9. DaddyChicken

DaddyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    Here is what I did...

[​IMG]

10. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    oh I like that! you can just get a hoe and scrape it all out.
    if it were on an incline you could hose it out too.
    my brain gears are turning quicker now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by