the floor before use with say a pond liner
    as it will be
    a wooden floor
    cheers Phil

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think I would paint or seal the floor. I would be afraid of moisture getting between the liner and the floor and it start to warp the T & G or rot the floor. Just my opinion. I've never thought about a pond liner being used that way.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I'm not sure if the chickens continual scratching will tear up the pond liner. Also, unless you already have it they are kind of expensive.

What are you using as bedding?

I know a lot of people LOVE using sheet vinyl flooring. Say they can wedge it into place and it stays. Then they can remove it if they need to for cleaning. It was a little to pricey for me when we were building or may be what I went with.

I just use sand and a sprinkle of Sweet PDZ which helps dry fast and eliminates ammonia smell on my poo boards which are exposed OSB. So far no swelling of the wood where it sometimes is damp. I use a kitty litter scooper to remove the waste and if there is moisture left behind I just kind of stir it up to spread the moisture and help it dry out the one heavily used location.

I do have one painted floor. The quality of paint may make a difference, but mine is getting scratched up. I bet a deck type outdoor paint or sealer wood work better than the cheap paint I had.

Hope what little info I do have helps you a bit in your decision. What works for some won't work for all. The good thing is if we aren't over spent we can always adjust as we learn what works and doesn't for us. One thing I have learned is that all the research in the world won't tell you as much as first hand experience. And wow, there is a lot to learn!

Good luck!

4. treefrogging

treefrogging Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016
    Right now I have a cement floor (in a shed) and pine shavings. What is Sweet PDZ, and where do you get it?

5. EggSighted4Life

Concrete is a very hard landing, so I would try to keep the shavings deep.

Sweet PDZ is a horse stall refresher. I heard about it from another BYC'er. They sell it at feed stores. Neither of my locals carried it and it was $40 on amazon. So I inquired and one of them ordered it for $17 for a 40# bag. It is a mineral I believe, and made in USA. I cannot believe the difference this stuff makes in the smell of my goat barn and poo boards. And it really does dry stuff up. I don't have to use it as often as the directions suggest. But as needed, this stuff is worth every penny to me. Aside from the unpleasant smell of urine being gone from the goats peeing at the same place every time, it also does extend the life of the bedding. It says it is safe to breath and safe to send to the compost or garden when you are ready. Just a note, it is denser than dog food, the bag is smaller like a concrete bag, so it stores easy.

6. treefrogging

treefrogging Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016
    This is excellent information. Thanks so much. It sounds like it would be worth my while. And I will keep that in mind about the shavings and concrete... didn't know how padded they are supposed to have it!

7. EggSighted4Life

I have a ramp and my roosts are about 5 feet high. Some chickens use it & others don't. But many who process their birds (I will be soon), commented that the heavier breeds were having bruising on the breast. So even if your not processing, still good to know. Many of mine are heavy girls and I just don't wanna end up bone jarring or broken legs. Some people let their hens live nice long lives which can include accommodating the more frail. For me as a person, I've wrecked my quad a FEW times. [​IMG] And 1 thing I can tell you is it hurts less to hit something soft like sand or loose shavings than packed dirt or concrete. Ahh, good memories! [​IMG] Actually, got harder to recover from as I aged. One time my hubby was gone to work and I wanted to try my new quad. I took out the whole fence (it took me off the bike with a 2x4 across the cheek cuz I didn't put a helmet on)... But I put the fence back up before he got home so he wouldn't know!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Sorry off topic kinda, point is hitting hard stuff hurts. [​IMG] Oh ya, and ALWAYS wear a helmet. [​IMG]

So the depth of your shavings could be relative to lot's of stuff. Like the age & size of birds and how high your roosts are & materials being used. Just use your best judgement. Maybe see how it sounds when they are jumping down and stuff and adjust as you see fit. [​IMG]

8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I have covered my raw wood floor with vinyl flooring with wood shavings on top. Worked fine for years and is still in use in my situation. I think a pool liner would work fine also.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Pond liner is tough stuff, possibly tougher than linoleum/vinyl rug. There is always a chance of moisture getting between a membrane and the wood floor. It seems, though, that a very high percentage of people have good results using a membrane over the wood. Other people use a roofing material called "Black Jack"....they mop it on thickly and it seals good from the reports posted on the forum. Of all the options I would think the pond liner may be the most expensive. As for which one is better...pick you poison and proceed on. [​IMG]

Best wishes,
    Ed

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  10. EggSighted4Life

Wow, I never imagined pond liner would be that good to stand up even to the mighty chicken! I did know they were pricey. But that's good info for future ventures.

Does that Black Jack stuff dry un- sticky? Or does it have a terrible tar smell?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by