1. resurreccion858

resurreccion858 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2010
    san diego
    well im building a small area for my pullets to roam around in and i was wondering whats something i can use for the floor? cause rite now its just wood and i dont want bird poop sticking to that. you think i could use soil or something like that? or sand.? something safe and easy to clean [​IMG]

2. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    Sand works really good. But don't buy play sand, get sand that is used for construction or landscaping. It's usually sold by a 1/4 ton or more, but is much cheaper than the 50 lb bags you will buy at home depot.

3. resurreccion858

Oct 31, 2010
    san diego
    Quote:they wont eat any of that rite?

4. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    If they do its the same as grit. Definetly won't hurt em. And that's one less thing you will have to buy.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. resurreccion858

Oct 31, 2010
    san diego
    Quote:i live rite next to a home depot. would play sand be alright too? or is there something in there thats a no no

6. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    River sand is the best sand to use IMO...I have it in both my coops and runs and love it. Purchased it from a landscape supply company. They can also eat the sand which provides grit.

7. jomercer

jomercer Chillin' With My Peeps

"Washed concrete sand" is coarse and good for flooring and "sharp" enough to be grit for the birds, too. I use it in the roosting poop tray and on the floor and scoop poop every day to keep the coop clean.

I found a guy in the Pennysaver and hired him and his dump truck to bring me a ton. The sand is cheap, less than $20/ton--the hauling is not, $100-$150 per load 'round these parts.

Geez--20 years ago I got 2 tons of sand delivered for $75 total--just ran across the old invoice the other day while cleaning out junk.

8. resurreccion858

Oct 31, 2010
    san diego
    Well what would be the best thing for me to get at home depot =[ that's the only place I have =[

9. shabbyfarm

shabbyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    South central Iowa
    Play sand will work, it just cost more than the stuff you buy by the ton.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by