1. kerroppi76

kerroppi76 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Langhorne, PA
    what does everyone use on teh floor in their coop? We have a wood floor. What should w put on it to soak up wet and keep smell down? How often do you have to change it out?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I put down a layer of pine shavings. It doesn't normally get wet. Pine shavings are nice because they smell good too.

3. Omah09

Omah09 Out Of The Brooder

I put leftover vinyl flooring on my wood floor. I got the vinyl from a floor shop for a $ a roll. Then I put pine chips on that. I try and scoop some poop out daily. I just added some more chips.

It's working great but they've only been in the coop a week!

4. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    1 coop w/ a wood floor -- it gets 6 inches of pine cones or shavings rotated out about once / month
    2 coops w/ dirt floors, they get maple leaves (about 6") or other misc smallish yard waste -- dig-out once / year
    2 coops w/ hardwire floor, the poop just drops through most of the time, but I do have to clean these out every few days when there are birds in there

5. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    vinyl tile/flooring down then shavings over top- we've got it set so we can put about 8" down for in winter (gunna try deep litter method)

6. tpeila

tpeila Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    University Place, WA
    I have pine shavings. Had the coop for a couple months now. Never changes it just added more. Trying deep litter method. Gets flies on really hot days.

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I panted mine and put down sand, so easy to clean.

8. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    vinyl on top of wood floor with pine pellets for deep litter method . nothing sticks to vinyl easy to clean no smell using pine shavings or pellets.

9. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    i put down linoleum, and use pine shavings (deep shavings method). Monthly I take the shavings and compost them right into the run. No smell. I have 27 chickens.

10. nerd0geekboyz

nerd0geekboyz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    NorCal
    I use pine shavings atop my vinyl floor. I have a 4x4 coop with three chickens and I change the shavings every 2-3 weeks.. I do, however, add more shavings once/week.

Most of the chicken poop is caught in the poop catch bin or they poop in the run.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by